Kingfish on...live mullet?

anthman

Hi all, having searched the forum and internet - I'm reaching out to the collective experience (centuries, millennia no doubt!) of fishraider to ask the question - has anyone targeted and cuaght kingfish on live poddy mullet? What rig and technique did you use? What conditions where you in?

I haven't seen much on this method for kingfish, but I have high hopes that there likeness to a 3" powerbait minnow (my go-to) means there is something there...

Never had one on mullet and given just how easy they are to target on plastics don't think I would bother with all the effort of catching and keeping mullet. Kings seem to mostly hold with yakka and slimies.

I often use live mullet for flathead when fishing ANSA comps in Pt Hacking.  I have caught 2 over 5.6kg on 1kg line but some years the kings are a pain in the rear as once they reach legal you can't stop them so yes they will take a live mullet.  Ron 

Thanks all, i've been inspired. Will try out live poddy mullet tomorrow and report back on the experience.

Agreed that there might be better baits out there (i.e. squid). Curious to try poddy mullet due to ease of sourcing, hardiness and portability.

53 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Caught 15 kg plus kings in swansea channell on live mullet  so i think your wrong masterfisho...they eat anything live  ive caught them on mados when we had nothin else to throw at em...rick

Mate I am saying I have not used mullet I use squid that's in Sydney harbour

5 minutes ago, masterfisho7 said:

I have learnt some thing mullet must be the go I will have to try 

Kings are not fussy regarding live bait. As long as your pin the mullet right they will take it. For really big kings though, Australian Salmon is the go mate...

Edited by connico

I used to live bait from the Beecroft, Jervis Bay rocks with live mullet about 25cm and the kings went nuts over them. They just flop around on the surface kind of like a garfish, which were also a top bait. Heaps better than yakkas or slimeys.

Fishing from the rocks, I used a torpedo shaped bobby cork and it was important to have a good quality ball bearing swivel below the cork. The mullet tend to swim round and round in circles and without the swivel I'd get terrible line twist.