Battery for portable live bank tank

Poly2096

Hi all. 

I have read all topics on this and there is too much info so just a quick qn.  I am building my own bait tank that is removable from the boat each time (it’s not my boat) and my question to you is should I get a separate battery for the tank (say a small 12v battery) or should I connect it to the boats battery? We have a 4.5m poly with single battery setup. 

Also does anyone know a good solution for incorporating an on/off switch into the electrics for the live bait tank so that I can switch it on/off whenever I want without having to disconnect from battery. 

Thnks a lot 

5 minutes ago, Poly2096 said:

Hi all. 

I have read all topics on this and there is too much info so just a quick qn.  I am building my own bait tank that is removable from the boat each time (it’s not my boat) and my question to you is should I get a separate battery for the tank (say a small 12v battery) or should I connect it to the boats battery? We have a 4.5m poly with single battery setup. 

Also does anyone know a good solution for incorporating an on/off switch into the electrics for the live bait tank so that I can switch it on/off whenever I want without having to disconnect from battery. 

Thnks a lot 

Hi Poly2096,

First of all, you didn't tell us if you have a dual or single battery system on the boat?

Do you have a dashboard (will this be a permanent thing although its removable) where you could install a switch.

Cheers Dave

Depends on how much power it draws. What motor/pump are you using?

heres mine https://imgur.com/a/5kEjTG4

i hook up to battery directly via a ctek plug. I’ve added a 2 mode power switch, a infinite relay so I get have it turn on for 30 seconds then off for 60 seconds. Also has a pulse width modulation controller so I can slow the motor down and use less power. Uses 2amps on slow. I only turn it up to full when a squid dumps it’s ink.

make sure you add a fuse.

What size and amount of bait are you wanting to keep ? 

Simply pumping air into water won't keep many species alive for very long, most need a fresh clean supply of water. Yakkas and mullet are reasonably tough but things can go wrong very quickly in water quality killing the lot. Even our 140lt tank at home has two filters and two pumps, which we only use for small species we keep occasionally for bigger sea life aquariums ( under permit).

Not wanting to dampen your plans, simply trying to save you money, effort and time.

Thanks a lot guys. To answer your questions. 

Dave - single battery system. I have a dashboard yes but was leaning towards just incorporating a switch near the battery rather than a dash. Obviously this won’t be as good as having it dash mounted though but that’s ok. 

Raging - I was going to get a rule 500gph bilge pump. Or 750. The comments re Johnson pumps on this forum seem to suggest they give up a bit too early. I’ve seen a lot of people say add a fuse. Dumb qn but how do I do this (I’ve never done any electrics before so I’m just having a crack)

jon - enough for a days fishing roughly. So a dozen tanka’s, slimes, squid etc. I was going to use a 60l plastic barrel 3/4 full. The bilge pump will pump fresh water into the barrel and the overflow outlets will take out the old water. That’s my plan

xheers for your help

Sorry I may of misunderstood, thought you were wanting to keep them alive  at home when the tank was removed from the boat. 

With my removable livebait tank I have a fuse in the positive wire, an on off switch can also be placed in this line from about $7 upwards. I also only run a single boat battery but do carry a very small lithium jumpstart battery. I've pull started outboards to 115hp so don't see the need for extra weight a loss of space on my small boat.

Also I  rarely just run a pump all day without running the engine to put power back into the battery, infact due to where I fish my engine tends to run 90% of the time. If I was running the tank at night with other lights etc then a small portably battery would be carried for the bait pump. Did you see the video of the one I made for my boat ? 

i have wired a 12V Waterproof  Lighter Socket Outlet and mounted that onto the boat and use that for things that are portable when you make your livewell just put a Male Car Cigarette Lighter Socket on the end of it and you can plug it in when needed or use it in the back of your car if ur fishing from your 4wd or something or if u simply just want to be able to turn it on and off just put a switch across the active/red wire.

Edited by Mattyau

And to confirm. Everyone reckons connecting to existing battery in boat is fine or bring separate battery? And if connecting to battery In boat is there a quick way? I’ve read alligator clips rust easily. But I want to try and have a solution that is easy on easy off. Cheers

And whilst I’ve got you guys cause you have been a huge help, what do you reckon about size of barrel? The boat is a 4.5m poly with a 50hp 4 stroke. So it’s well powered but not heaps of power. So I’m trying to balance size of live bait well without adding too much weight. I’ve seen a 35l barrel at Bunnings which seems ok but maybe too small? I’ve seen a 60l barrel at my local pool store. But this seems too big. Do you think 35l will be ok? Bearing in mind it won’t have 35l capacity as I won’t be filling To the top. Thanks 

Depends on how much bait you want to keep :) 

mines an old 36l esky with about 25 litres of working water. That’s enough room for 15 squid or 20 yakkas which does me. Haven’t had anything die yet, but when full I have pump always on.

60 is heavy, it’s another person on board. Make sure you have a way to empty it.

I have two batteries in my current and previous boat with the simple 1, 2 or 1 and 2 set up.

I have a live bait tank in each boat the first had 360gph and the 2nd boat has 500gph.   I only ever have one battery switched on and have never needed to switch over but it is nice piece of mind.  

Edited by Welster

22 hours ago, JonD said:

I made a video as it was easier to explain for a Pomy mate on another forum.

JonD where did you get that drum from?  It looks like a perfect size for my boat.  What are the dimensions if you dont mind me asking?

10 hours ago, Fishop said:

JonD where did you get that drum from?  It looks like a perfect size for my boat.  What are the dimensions if you dont mind me asking?

Local farm produce centre, I believe they are used olive drums ($20 each ). Check out gumtree and you will find them from $10.

Edited by JonD
  • Like 1