Anchor retrieval clip

Peter Nelson

I assume that you are talking about your anchor rode being spliced together?

those particular clips come in 2 sizes small and large depending on line size.  I guess it would depend on the diameter of your splice?

Edited by Sea Ranger

5 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

I assume that you are talking about your anchor rode being spliced together?

those particular clips come in 2 sizes small and large depending on line size.  I guess it would depend on the diameter of your splice?

Thanks mate.

I was planning on splicing 2 ropes together  to make a longer one.

Due to me being a fairly ordinary spicer I think it might get stuck when it slide over the splice. I also didn't realise they were suited to different  sized diameter  ropes.

I think I might get one with just a big ring.

Cheers

I had one and found it very stiff to use and I often forget which way it clipped onto the rope so gave it away. 

I still use a float but with simply a large stainless hoop that slides right down to the anchor and simply stays there. This is the type I use, they were $10 when I got mine, the float attaches to the clip.

IMG_2236.thumb.PNG.517a7be41ed3fa2ce37e7e7e4870459b.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, JonD said:

I had one and found it very stiff to use and I often forget which way it clipped onto the rope so gave it away. 

I still use a float but with simply a large stainless hoop that slides right down to the anchor and simply stays there. This is the type I use, they were $10 when I got mine, the float attaches to the clip.

IMG_2236.thumb.PNG.517a7be41ed3fa2ce37e7e7e4870459b.PNG

Where did you get that Jon?

5 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I use this style of clip always  i have parra rope spliced and it goes over the splice easy  if you hit the end too hard it will jump onto the chain so dont be worried bout goin over average splice...rick

Like Rick, I used this style for nearly two decades until I replaced it with the anchor winch. I had 2 x 50m 12mm silver rope lengths spliced together, with another 45m 10mm rope spliced as backing.  The spliced sections go through no problems. As Jon said.. you need to orientate the clip the correct way. The purpose of the clip is to allow the rope to slide through as you power the boat away .. but then hold the rope (keeping the chain and anchor suspended up near the buoy)... rather then let them slip back down. 

5128B1AA-A12F-4AFC-A0CE-D07327580EDF.jpeg.ef5d48bfb846e4838d5468384596ce29.jpeg

Cheers Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Sea Ranger said:

Love the artwork Zoran !!

Hahaha ... thanks Bear.  Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words .... and it would have taken a 1000 at least to explain the correct rope threading. 

Also...as Jon said above, that clip can really snap at you ... and it happens especially when you have cold wet fingers !!

Cheers Zoran

PS-  I was going to make the motor all white... but then realised our eTec mates would get all excited 😇.

• Haha 2

Thanks for the artwork, Zoran (even if you didn’t draw my ETEC)! I have one of these clips. Used it maybe twice and had to look up the instructions each time! I rarely anchor these days and just use spot lock on the Minn Kota. 

• Haha 1

They are great for deeper water anchoring as you never have to lift the full weight of the anchor and chain vertically. Re clip direction - just remember heavy part of clip to anchor- heavy to heavy!

Cheers Zoran 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 6:45 PM, zmk1962 said:

Hahaha ... thanks Bear.  Sometimes a picture is worth a 1000 words .... and it would have taken a 1000 at least to explain the correct rope threading. 

Also...as Jon said above, that clip can really snap at you ... and it happens especially when you have cold wet fingers !!

Cheers Zoran

PS-  I was going to make the motor all white... but then realised our eTec mates would get all excited 😇.

The new etecs come in one of almost 20 different colors now....so blue could also pass as an etec 😜🤣

20190105_222155.png

• Haha 2

For you Rick - I even customized the boat a little - just keep posting your fishing hints!

075A575F-AEF4-43DD-B32F-68C7A0949F77.jpeg.232e57fdb9d92336e6335377a39aaf11.jpeg

So I guess we should say - this is how Rick and the other Yamheads use the anchor clip 😂

Ok. Before I pack up my pencils are there any other make models that need a specific drawing so they can use the clip also - I can only imagine  how distracting it must be to have the wrong motor on an anchoring sketch  ??  Bahahaha

You may also note that I stayed right away from a black motor in case it was assumed I had some bias ... so to all my Merc-mates ... trust me the clip works with a Merc set up as well.

cheers Z

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4