Outside Port Hacking

Yowie

Was heading outside before sunrise this morning, but as I was preparing the tinny for launch, a thick cloud moved in - a sea fog.

I threw out a line off the wharf and pulled out the bream, while waiting for the fog to clear, but it did not.

When there was a little bit of light in the sky, I headed out the mouth of the Hacking - Tried a  squid spot for nothing, and a tailor spot for nothing. Moved a bit further out, but no bites. The fog was still about after sunrise, so took it easy and headed down to near Little Marley. Headed out just far enough off shore to see the cliffs so I knew roughly where I was. A light south-easter blowing, north-east wind swell, back wash off the shore line cliffs, and bugger all drift. Only spikies biting, and the very occasional Blue Spot coming up.

Surprisingly, very little drift for some time, so only a few spikies caught. Moved a few times, and found an occasional Blue Spot. Moved to near Little Marley, found a slow drift working and then pulled up a few blue spots. When I had my bag limit, it was time to head home. Enough for a few feeds. Only 2 undersized Blue Spots thrown back, plus one just legal Tiger Flattie returned. Many spikies returned.

Fillets of spikey flattie for bait. The fog stayed about for some time. The swell was slowly increasing in size during the fishing, but back in the mouth of the Hacking, not too much swell at all.

fish.jpeg_178.thumb.png.85bdd49ebd90d5407c4fb3ce5bbcba6d.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Nice bag of fish Yowie.

Have you ever tried eating the spikies? 

I have eaten a couple of spikies, but they do not grow very large. The biggest I have caught is 32cm, and from reports do not grow much larger. Small fillets but taste O.K. to me.