Mt Ettalong point

Rock hopper

Hi,

Headed out at midday today, armed with leftover frozen prawns and some soft plastics to see what was around. Hot hot hot in the sun but to be expected.  Landed a couple wrasse and what I think is a baby grouper ? Can anyone shed some light ? 

Cheers

IMG_20190104_200707.jpg

Cheers guys. thanks for the info. 

And yeah heat is a killer lately. Southerly has just cooled things down her near Woy Woy.

I suppose wrasse is a generic term I use for the little fish you catch around the weed off the rocks. Don't really know if they are good to eat. Like these things among others. IMG20190105122228.thumb.jpg.ede609e8ed06879a82a616310f56f350.jpg

That looks like a Wirra Cod or old boot. If you want to eat it you will need to do either two things

Scrape the skin of its slime before you gut and fillet. If you dont the slime will contaminate the skin and make it taste like old boot

Or

Kill it and spike the brain, put it in an ice slurry. DO NOT PUT ANY OTHER FISH IN THE SLURRY. Then take it home and poor boiling oil or water on the skin before gutting and steaming or frying whole.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:35 PM, connico said:

Yep baby grouper. Female = brown and apparently turns blue when the blue in the territory hands up its hat or gets caught lol

We all probably know what you mean, but its spelt "Groper" rather than "Grouper". Grouper is a different species and may confuse others.