Any suggestions? First time boat owner

REDRUM

Hi guys,

Im new to fishing and all the rest, hoping to be able to take my kids out on a boat in the near future.

What do you recommend in terms of beginner boats? I’m thinking dinghy, tinny, something with a cover, 4 seats, just to hit small lakes, rivers etc, nothing with tides just calm water for a fish session with the kids, maybe lay a crab pot or two etc.

Hoping to keep the budget under 5k for the first boat.

Any suggestions, dos and donts, would be appreciated.

I'd look at a boat that can do small water that you've mentioned and some bay work - you'll find that most second hand boats in the 7-10k range will cover you for both. Gives you more options and being a bigger boat (bay vs small water) will mean more stability as well when underway and at rest - good for scrambling kids!

Dont let rivers or lake lull you into a false sense of security alpine waters can be freezing and large lakes can get rough. I would try a small hire boat first somewhere there is plenty of help around in the form of other boaters . A poly craft could be a good beginner boat as it will take a beating. Everybody under 12 must wear a life jacket in an open boat at all times.