Blood Worms - Sydney

Kevwing

Hey guys,

A while back, maybe 6 years ago we use to be able to buy blood worms.

Recently, in the last year or two. I found it hard to find bloodworms are stores. They all tell me that they haven't stocked them in years.

Something about white spot disease.

If that is the case, are still allowed to pump them? My mate use to pump them years back.

If so, is there any recommendations to find them?

Cheers

I used to dig them from the mud under exposed sea grass beds at big low tides but my back wouldn't let me now.  A fork was always used as a shovel would cut the worms.

No ban on taking them in NSW other than usual local preservation areas etc.  The ban is on the movement of bait between QLD and NSW to prevent the spread of white spot. 

The best worm baits ever were the Botany wrigglers with lots of legs similar to a centipede.  These could only be dug from sand under piles of weed on beaches where the Botany container harbour is now.  Only a few of us oldies would remember these.  Ron

• Like 1

10 hours ago, campr said:

I used to dig them from the mud under exposed sea grass beds at big low tides but my back wouldn't let me now.  A fork was always used as a shovel would cut the worms.

No ban on taking them in NSW other than usual local preservation areas etc.  The ban is on the movement of bait between QLD and NSW to prevent the spread of white spot. 

The best worm baits ever were the Botany wrigglers with lots of legs similar to a centipede.  These could only be dug from sand under piles of weed on beaches where the Botany container harbour is now.  Only a few of us oldies would remember these.  Ron

also along the beach near the runway in front of the old control tower

Jim...

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:40 AM, campr said:

No ban on taking them in NSW other than usual local preservation areas etc.  

Ah the good old days when you could basically do whatever you wanted wherever you wanted 😏

Nowadays almost any seagrass areas are protected & before you set foot on a piece of sand you have to check if there are any restrictions/sanctuary zones.

I remember as a kid some 40 years ago freely trudging through Duchies beach collecting cockles & pumping for nippers with my old man.

Now be prepared to pay a $500 fine if caught!