Quick report Wanda beach last night

yting

So had another crack for a Jew last night.

Finally got some squid late arvo, well only caught one actually but it was a cracker so was more than enough bait for a session.

Headed to Wanda, wind picked up just after dark and for the second time in a couple of weeks I bird nested my Alvey and lost me second lot of new line, 40lb. Not sure why I'm doing that now, I must be putting it on the wrong way or too loosely. Never had trouble in the past. Very frustrating when you have a fresh squid sitting on the beach with 20 mins to high tide and no line in the water.

Anyway, short story is that sadly I didn't get a thing once I sorted it out but I did want to mention that I was lucky enough to meet a fellow by the name of Ahmed who was a great help to me and was full of detailed knowledge from his experiences. I was blown away by how enthusiastic he was, how much fine detail he puts into his Jew fishing and how much info he was more than happy to share with me. He even tied me his preferred rig and we spoke at length about the right set up, conditions, baits etc etc. nothing that isn't available on this site already but it was eye for detail that impressed me.

So thank you Ahmed if you're out there, lets hope I'm yet another step closer to that first jew.

P.S. I was surprised that I didn't even get a hit with squid caught only hours before.

Nathan

At least you got out there and had a go. 😎 Bird’s nest on the Alvey? At the spool or up the rod a way? Watch for loops getting caught around the handles. Feather the line a little towards the end of the cast. Make sure you have a big bottom runner set well up the rod... they are big loops of line coming off that reel. 😉 Squid are not normally found in the surf, so not what a jew would be looking for there. Try big bunches of live beach worms. Also, fresh tailor fillets, or a butterflied tailor (remember: minimum length is 30cm). You could also try a live whiting (catch one first of course. Min. length: 27cm). Good luck!

Im no beach expert but 40lb mono on an Alvey, sounds a little heavy to me?

Sounds like its falling off the spool rather than being pulled away so yeh I would say not spooled under enough tension could be a start. 

Only been fishing at Wanda once & got a decent salmon.

Have you tried up the beach a bit further towards Greenhills?

I hear its a bit better fishing up that end??

I have 15 pound on my Alvey, previously had 12 pound but it was not heavy enough to lift 4 or 5 pound salmon from the rocks.

20 pound sounds better, at 40 pound the line is probably too stiff and springy, so it pops off the reel too easily and tangles. You will need to find a very limp brand of line if you want to continue at 40.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Im no beach expert but 40lb mono on an Alvey, sounds a little heavy to me?

Sounds like its falling off the spool rather than being pulled away so yeh I would say not spooled under enough tension could be a start. 

Only been fishing at Wanda once & got a decent salmon.

Have you tried up the beach a bit further towards Greenhills?

I hear its a bit better fishing up that end??

Yeah, that’s the other thing... 40lb is a lot of line for an Alvey. I don’t believe you need anything more than 15lb mono off the beach. I fish 12lb because I fish ANSA line classes, so 6kg (12lb) is the heaviest I go. Sometimes, I just use 4kg. I always found the walk to Green Hills worth it.

Thanks all,

yeah having thought about it again and re-reading the Jewish thread for the 47th time, I have had a brain explosion and confused leader size with main line size. Agree 40lb is just falling off the reel.

dont know what I was thinking there sorry.

• Like 1

40 lb line gives you confidence but it is indeed an overkill on the beach. I know a guy by the name of Carl landed a 1.1m jewie on 16 lb line while I was watching.  It is all about patience and make use of the wave actions.

Good luck on your jewie mission, one day the fish will find your fresh squid!

Just come back from a swim at Wanda, before the southerly wind hit. Not much in the way of waves, but along the beach are schools of baitfish, not very far from the shore. Terns are diving on them in various places. If the baitfish are sticking close to the shore, that means the bigger fish will close to the shore at night. No need to try and cast to New Zealand.

• Like 1

Yes i mostly run 6kg IGFA mono when beach fishing. Considering that most fish you catch are small that is the best way to go. Even with big salmon or tailor 6kg is heaps.

With 6kg i have also caught some big rays and sharks just need to take your time and use the wash.

I agree that i have never had a lot of luck with squid unless close to rocks or weedy areas. Best baits are fresh fish, tailor or salmon slabs, live or dead tommy rough or yakkas.

I fish one heavier line at nights just in case, normally just at the back of the breakers. This is normally 30 lb with 40lb leader. 

Tight lines R&B

• Like 1