Jb landbased

Toilor

Been hitting the stones 4 mornings in the last week. Usual setup of 40lb gliss 30lb leader 40 gram knight got a nice suprise after thinking I'd let the lure sink to far and hooked the bottom, turned out to be a little snapper.  Also got my first kingy on a soft plastic 7inch zman white flickbait 2oz jig head. Buried me on the ledge but I stayed patient and 5mins later he swam out 55cm. Seems wrong that an undersized fish should brick me on reasonably heavy gear but they just dive so hard I cant stop them. Totals for the 4 mornings are 3 Bonnies 3 kings (all under incl 25cm model) the snapper and a salmon. I clean the fish on leaving and have taken to eating hearts, livers and eggs / melts raw as shown to me by a Cook Islander, give it a try if you can stomach it.  Next 4 days should be good fishing with perfect moon phase and decent weather. Pic in comment below.

Cheers Toilor

Edited by Toilor3000
Added pic
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Toilor3000 said:

Also got my first kingy on a soft plastic 7inch zman white flickbait 2oz jig head. Buried me on the ledge but I stayed patient and 5mins later he swam out 55cm. Seems wrong that an undersized fish should brick me on reasonably heavy gear but they just dive so hard I cant stop them. 

Thanks for the report but might be time to think about your set up if a 55cm kingie is busting your balls with that line class.

Whats the rod & reel your using?

Saltist 4500 and lox iridium 12ft surf 12210. It is a long rod but at full tilt has plenty of power.  I'm accustomed to playing fish and letting them tire themselves out. It was suggested that the length of the rod would be a hinderance but I believe as I modify my technique and work out how hard I can go it'll do the job.  Didn't want to be poling Bonnie's and salmon on a broomstick as they make up the bulk of the catch.  I've been using a 12 foot wilson heritage and tss4 for 15 years so it has been a learning curve. Keen to hear what you think 

20190202_083622.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Doesnt really sound good for off the rocks?

Gelpspun/ braided lines in general have poor abrasion resistance. Though this is largely negated by having a mono leader. And they are good for lure casting due to their low diameter for breaking strain and low stretch.

6 hours ago, PaddyT said:

liss aint braid- I used braid off the rocks all the time but Gliss is even thinner for a given breaking strain

It's made from polyethylene fibres like the braided and fused GSP lines - it's just a different variation of the same category.  

Edited by kingfishbig

Gliss casts around 30 percent further than anything imo making it great for landbased spinning. Abrasion resistance slightly less than braid but not too bad however it deteriorates with fibers separating after 2 months fishing 4 days a week constantly casting. Deterioration doesn't effect strength much but looks terrible. Fg knot strength excellent and stuff all wind knots

Edited by Toilor3000
Add

I fish 4 or 5 days a week 2 hour sessions constantly casting and retrieving off the rocks & have just topped up after 3 months so not too bad. I don't use it on my boat outfits where distance isn't as important. Nothing again this morning but what looked to be frigates busting up and I didn't have anything small enough to tempt them.