Towing speed

Ali2196

Hey guys just after some advice. What speed do you guys usually tow your boats at on the highway? I’ve got a 4.5m alum tinny and I’ve heard all sorts of opinions to go 80.90.100 while towing. All advice will be appreciated!

thanks, Ali

I just stay 1 or 2 k's under whatever the speed limit is, the trailer and boat just follow me cause it's well set up, no pitch or sway and I have travelled all over the country. Just use some common sense and keep plenty of safe distance between you and what's in front of you.

Frank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ali2196 said:

Hey guys just after some advice. What speed do you guys usually tow your boats at on the highway? I’ve got a 4.5m alum tinny and I’ve heard all sorts of opinions to go 80.90.100 while towing. All advice will be appreciated!

thanks, Ali

You haven't told us what your tow vehicle is. If it is a large car or SUV then your rig is well within it's capabilities so you might as well do the speed limit. There are drawbacks doing 80 km other than increasing you trip time (frustrated motorist behind you leading to dangerous behaviour) . Otherwise it might be a good idea to go a bit slower. Your vehicles owners manual would be worth a look as sometimes the manufacturer puts speed limits on towing above a certain weight.

Edited by kingfishbig

4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Usually max of 100kph- always a good idea to check the max speed rating of your trailer tyres, some of them are pretty low

Yep & mine also have a max weight rating as well, both ratings are usually in the tyre unless they are very old & then I would be even more wary!

My trailer states that 90km/h is the max recommended so I try to stick to that. I tend to leave far more time than needed to get to the boat ramp for the purpose of not feeling rushed where I’m sure mistakes could be made 

Where does it state the max speed, I can only find tare weight and tyre size info on mine. I thought more had to do with tyre ratings, which is why I alway use good quality light truck tyres.

I personally tow at the speed limits or just under on 110 roads. When I tow to the NT or far north QLD I try to not hold other vehicles up, those road train drivers and other trucks are trying to make their living on the road, they have enough to put up with with all the grey nomads at certain times of the year.  In saying that my outfit is only about the 1 ton mark, if I was towing 2 tons i would sit on around 90 and simply keep pulling over to let others pass.

18 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Yep & mine also have a max weight rating as well, both ratings are usually in the tyre unless they are very old & then I would be even more wary!

Remember that the max weight rating is at max tyre pressure so under inflating is a recipe for blowouts. 

5 hours ago, JonD said:

Where does it state the max speed, I can only find tare weight and tyre size info on mine. I thought more had to do with tyre ratings, which is why I alway use good quality light truck tyres.

I personally tow at the speed limits or just under on 110 roads. When I tow to the NT or far north QLD I try to not hold other vehicles up, those road train drivers and other trucks are trying to make their living on the road, they have enough to put up with with all the grey nomads at certain times of the year.  In saying that my outfit is only about the 1 ton mark, if I was towing 2 tons i would sit on around 90 and simply keep pulling over to let others pass.

I have a plaque on my trailer that states all the info regarding trailer speed and tyre pressure etc. I would post a pic of it but my boat is at my in-laws at the moment. Trailer is a seatrail

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gundi4 said:

I have a plaque on my trailer that states all the info regarding trailer speed and tyre pressure etc. I would post a pic of it but my boat is at my in-laws at the moment. Trailer is a seatrail

My plate doesn't state a max speed, maybe because it's a heavy duty and rated to maximum speed limits.

My plate doesn’t say any speed and to be honest with a boat with a weight of 1.6t give or take I sometimes forget I’m towing it as I hit a hit hill and start overtaking Caravans and slow drivers.

so I guess 112km/h is my max speed

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

My plate doesn’t say any speed and to be honest with a boat with a weight of 1.6t give or take I sometimes forget I’m towing it as I hit a hit hill and start overtaking Caravans and slow drivers.

so I guess 112km/h is my max speed

How freaky is that when you forget they are on the back, then glance back in the mirror only to see the front of a boat right up your rear. 

The power modern diesels put out and a decent set of rear springs you really can forget there's anything behind. Even my little 2.2 diesel delivers 440nm of torque where the fuel economy sits bellow 10lt per 100km towing.

5 hours ago, JonD said:

How freaky is that when you forget they are on the back, then glance back in the mirror only to see the front of a boat right up your rear. 

The power modern diesels put out and a decent set of rear springs you really can forget there's anything behind. Even my little 2.2 diesel delivers 440nm of torque where the fuel economy sits bellow 10lt per 100km towing.

I don’t know how in the world you can “forget” you are towing something, regardless of the weight?

What happens when you cut a corner because you ‘forgot’ you were towing a trailer?

31 minutes ago, Hateanchors said:

I don’t know how in the world you can “forget” you are towing something, regardless of the weight?

What happens when you cut a corner because you ‘forgot’ you were towing a trailer?

I don't forget when driving in a city or short runs up and down the coast. I'm referring to when Im concentrating on missing wildlife on big runs to the NT  or far north QLD. Those inland routes are often many km of dead straight driving for hour after hour. The front of my my inflatable is high wide and black, so at night it blocks light from the car lights from showing any sign of it in the rear view mirror. I have to use the side mirrors to see the trailer which is also a little tricky to see if you are watching out for kangaroos in the headlights, touching the breaks helps.

Do you tow big distances or just from home to the ramp?

1 hour ago, Hateanchors said:

Easy you burst a Tyre and spend 30 mins changing thinking Fark you idiot.

Mostly it’s on long highway trips, when I go and overtake and the Ranger just drags the boat very easily up hill and as I pass cars and look down and the needle is almost nudging 120km and I have that oh Sh1t I have a boat on the back I better slow down.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1