Used boat advice-Bowrider

MOEYT

Hi all Fishos/Boaties,

I have been a member of fishraider for some time however due to time constraints and everything else in between have had no chance to post much. 

Nevertheless,  recently sold my Quintrex Bayhunter and in search for a slightly bigger boat,looking at the bowrider types such as your Quintrex Freedom sports/ Stacer Easy rider etc. 

I have three young children and think the bowriders are more suited as I would like something I can easily manage myself and something kids will enjoy.I am not a fan of fibreglass boats.

Anyone had any experience with aluminum bow riders and are they suitable for the family safety wise and so forth. I intend to also fish outside on the inshore reefs on a good day.

Your advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Regards 

Mahmoud

I have the 2016 Stacer 539 Easy Rider and for a family of 5 we find it excellent. The high side are great for little kids nice and safe.

its a bit bouncy in chop if you are loaded and going a bit fast you will get wet. But trimnitbup and slow down and it’s fine although still bump compared to a fiberglass.

spending days on the Harbour and swimming at some of the beaches in the Harbour, Hawkesbury and Port Stephens is where the Bowrider really perfoms well. The kids love being able to sit at the front and watch the siblings or friends being towed on the donut. The wife likes sitting at the front at Port Stephens while we watch the dolphins play or shoot down to Tea Gardens for fish and chips.

The 539 is Lic for 7 which is great when the kids are under 12 as I can have my family plus another on board.

As for fishing I haven’t taken mine out the heads due to early engine issues which after a change of Mechanics has finally resolved. But 3 friends have similar boat (2015 Stacer 540, Quintrex 610 and Quintrex 490) and we have been out a few KM of Sydney and Jervis bay and the high side sides handle the chop really well and great stability. I do recommend a bow cover when under way as it helps if it does turn bad to keep water out of the boat. It’s the same hull as the centre console and they go way out.

i can solo launch very easy, even did it 5 weeks after a ACL replacement without drama and now my 12yr has her Lic, I just reverse down she drives it off and I park the trailer.

Drive on is just as easy but winching is also easy as it aligns itself and is lite, especially good at low tide boat ramps.

Engine choice like GM v ford, it’s personal choice, I have a 115 Etec and I loved it at first then had some issues for about 30hrs due to the mechanic dealer, now with a different dealer the last 20hrs back to excellent. my mates has a 150 Honda 100 Suzuki and another has 130 Etec all 3 going well.

Good storage and I have a bait boat Ski pole custom made so I don’t have to switch between the two.

i Tow with a Ford Ranger as it’s effortless but also Tow with a 2wd (front) Nissan Pathfinder and it also doesn’t have a drama even on slippery / sandy Ramos as the front wheel are usually on clean concrete.

make sure you get the biggest you can handle if you have a big family otherwise like me you will start looking to upgrade. Wife wants bigger now the kids are 12yr + She like something like a 28ft to 38ft ha ha 

7CE41A64-2AF1-4DD0-A8C0-64463FE9C1C5.jpeg

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

I have the 2016 Stacer 539 Easy Rider and for a family of 5 we find it excellent. The high side are great for little kids nice and safe.

its a bit bouncy in chop if you are loaded and going a bit fast you will get wet. But trimnitbup and slow down and it’s fine although still bump compared to a fiberglass.

spending days on the Harbour and swimming at some of the beaches in the Harbour, Hawkesbury and Port Stephens is where the Bowrider really perfoms well. The kids love being able to sit at the front and watch the siblings or friends being towed on the donut. The wife likes sitting at the front at Port Stephens while we watch the dolphins play or shoot down to Tea Gardens for fish and chips.

The 539 is Lic for 7 which is great when the kids are under 12 as I can have my family plus another on board.

As for fishing I haven’t taken mine out the heads due to early engine issues which after a change of Mechanics has finally resolved. But 3 friends have similar boat (2015 Stacer 540, Quintrex 610 and Quintrex 490) and we have been out a few KM of Sydney and Jervis bay and the high side sides handle the chop really well and great stability. I do recommend a bow cover when under way as it helps if it does turn bad to keep water out of the boat. It’s the same hull as the centre console and they go way out.

i can solo launch very easy, even did it 5 weeks after a ACL replacement without drama and now my 12yr has her Lic, I just reverse down she drives it off and I park the trailer.

Drive on is just as easy but winching is also easy as it aligns itself and is lite, especially good at low tide boat ramps.

Engine choice like GM v ford, it’s personal choice, I have a 115 Etec and I loved it at first then had some issues for about 30hrs due to the mechanic dealer, now with a different dealer the last 20hrs back to excellent. my mates has a 150 Honda 100 Suzuki and another has 130 Etec all 3 going well.

Good storage and I have a bait boat Ski pole custom made so I don’t have to switch between the two.

i Tow with a Ford Ranger as it’s effortless but also Tow with a 2wd (front) Nissan Pathfinder and it also doesn’t have a drama even on slippery / sandy Ramos as the front wheel are usually on clean concrete.

make sure you get the biggest you can handle if you have a big family otherwise like me you will start looking to upgrade. Wife wants bigger now the kids are 12yr + She like something like a 28ft to 38ft ha ha 

Switching between the ski pole and bait board sure is annoying.   

The bow riders really are great all rounders  for the family.   No doubt there are better boats specialized for each activity. They are to beat for the all purpose boat.

I had a 5.3 Quintrex freedom sport millennium hill with a 115 Yamaha saltwater for probably 11 years.   My current boat is a 5.7 Stacer easy rider with 150 HO Etec which is probably about 4. 

Both are great boats.  Comparing the two the quintrex is more stable and the stacer smoother riding and sportier without compromising the stability to much.   So if I had a choice I’d lean towards the Stacer.  

We never had an issue with the Yamaha but the newer tech Etec is just awesome.   I recommend max horsepower on either hull.

Telwater could improve attention to detail a lot, the little things let them down somewhat.   If I was buying new now I’d be looking towards some of the plate boats that are now doing bowriders as well.

I have had mine out to the port hacking fad around 20 ks, the peak, 12 mile and down from port hacking past the humps off the sea cliff bridge about 20-25ks I think.   One particular day I did around 100km off shore running around.  It’s just a matter of checking the weather.   Obviously fibreglass or plate boats would ride through the chop better. 

Edited by Welster
Typo
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your information guys. It is pretty much what I wanted to hear and to have the confidence in buying a bowrider.I suppose the one thing that was concerning was the getting splashed in the view area, I suppose  it is part of boating and getting wet at some  stage has to happen. I suppose all boats have a compromise somewhere. 

Thanks guys and happy/safe boating.

The getting wet is only when it’s pretty choppy, the kids are at the front and the winds blowing,

close the window and put the kids at the back and the wetness drops off.

On a good day with less than 1m swell we don’t get wet at all.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Great report Jeff.  Should really help MOEYT with his purchase choices.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 9:58 AM, MOEYT said:

Hi all Fishos/Boaties,

I have been a member of fishraider for some time however due to time constraints and everything else in between have had no chance to post much. 

Nevertheless,  recently sold my Quintrex Bayhunter and in search for a slightly bigger boat,looking at the bowrider types such as your Quintrex Freedom sports/ Stacer Easy rider etc. 

I have three young children and think the bowriders are more suited as I would like something I can easily manage myself and something kids will enjoy.I am not a fan of fibreglass boats.

Anyone had any experience with aluminum bow riders and are they suitable for the family safety wise and so forth. I intend to also fish outside on the inshore reefs on a good day.

Your advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Regards 

Mahmoud

G'day Mahmoud,

I'm going the other way to you - turning my Freedom Sport 475 bowlder into a solo fishing vessel. Youngest kid is now 20 and we've grown out of the family outings.

The boat is very stable and has plenty of room for people but very little storage for "things" in the sides or under floor. We've had 3 adults and 3 kids or 2 adults and 4 kids regularly skiing and fishing. We've got the 75 Merc 2-stroke that has been as loyal as you'd ever wish for.

Best of luck when it's time to choose, I'm a +1 for what you're looking for.

TC.

Thanks for that information @TheCount I have actually looked at the 4.75 range and I am somewhat leaning towards them due to the significant price difference and what my budget entails to buy.However I do like the 500 and 530 range also as they are slighlty bigger. My children are 7,5 and 8 month old.

Good to hear the Merc has served you well mate as I have heard mixed opinions on Mercs and everyone I have spoken to swears by Yamaha.

Cheers 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quintrex bowrider 510 with an etec 90.  Great for the family and have also had it at the fad off Forster.  It's small enough to launch by myself and great for the wife and kids. Also towed biscuits off the back. It's very dry unless you get a strong cross wind but that hasn't happened often as I just adjust the trim and angle.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:26 AM, Pauafritta said:

I have a quintrex bowrider 510 with an etec 90.  Great for the family and have also had it at the fad off Forster.  It's small enough to launch by myself and great for the wife and kids. Also towed biscuits off the back. It's very dry unless you get a strong cross wind but that hasn't happened often as I just adjust the trim and angle.

On 2/18/2019 at 12:35 PM, TheCount said:

G'day Mahmoud,

I'm going the other way to you - turning my Freedom Sport 475 bowlder into a solo fishing vessel. Youngest kid is now 20 and we've grown out of the family outings.

The boat is very stable and has plenty of room for people but very little storage for "things" in the sides or under floor. We've had 3 adults and 3 kids or 2 adults and 4 kids regularly skiing and fishing. We've got the 75 Merc 2-stroke that has been as loyal as you'd ever wish for.

Best of luck when it's time to choose, I'm a +1 for what you're looking for.

TC.

Thanks for that info @Pauafritta . I am actually looking at a Savage Scorpion 500SL Bowrider with a 90  ETEC on the back. I do not know much about them, it is 2004 Model with 190hours. What is your experience them, reliability, issues and things to watch out for. I have generally heard good things about them but unsure  as I do not know anyone who has one.

Hear from you soon.

Cheers

2 hours ago, MOEYT said:

Thanks for that info @Pauafritta . I am actually looking at a Savage Scorpion 500SL Bowrider with a 90  ETEC on the back. I do not know much about them, it is 2004 Model with 190hours. What is your experience them, reliability, issues and things to watch out for. I have generally heard good things about them but unsure  as I do not know anyone who has one.

Here is my next piece of advice

1. Service receipts are the key, no records, no service has been done, even when they say they did it or a mate did it, no Record no service.

2. Look up where your local Etec Dealer is and see what they shop and service is like.

3. 190hrs is not much, so if it has all of the above and looks the goods and drives nice through idle , mid range and top speed then it should be fine.

Cheers, thanks for that info, I will check all the above and make sure all is accounted for, after all boat is a major investment!

Edited by MOEYT