Port Hacking

Yowie

"Just had to wet a line" - think I heard that somewhere recently :lol:

The wind will be up for a few more days, can't stay home for ever, so I headed early to Lilli Pilli. Wind blowing and showers, though I have fished in worse conditions.

Expected some fish, as the wind sometimes brings on the tailor, but no tailor, no yakkas even, just the bream, a just legal flounder that was released and the crab. Stacks of greedy little reddies that ate everything thrown into the water.

Packed up and moved further up river, threw a lure about for nothing, so I was heading towards Maianbar flats to pump a few nippers and hope for a whiting.

On the way past the mouth of South West Arm, I saw terns and pelicans on the water, so headed that way instead. The birds were feeding on a big school of baitfish, and there were splashes underneath. The wind was blowing, so the drift was a bit too fast, several casts then drifted too far past the school. I was using a small metal lure.

First fish was a kingie, felt like a keeper, and by the time I landed it, I was drifting over 2 feet of water over the sand bank, and it was only 60cm long.

Headed back to the bait fish and drifted past many times, for the mack tuna and bonito. The hooks pulled on another bonito and a couple more fish. Many times the lure treble hooked up little anchovies, the school was that thick. Not too many hits for the number of casts, as there was too much food in the water.

The small tuna were swimming through in schools, about 2 metres wide, as they harassed the bait fish, just a wall of tuna swimming like rockets.

Hooked another fish, then a dumb arsed seagull flew into the line and tangled up. By the time I landed it, the fish had broken the line and taken the lure. Not much meat on a seagull once you grab it around the neck to remove the line.

Tied on another lure and it was bitten off, tailor were moving into the baitfish. Another lure on for the tailor, dropped a couple more then everything was gone. A bit of excitement for a change, though a lot of casting for what was landed. Used 12 pound mono, 15 gram metal, a whippy rod.

fish.jpeg_183.thumb.png.6e25e1fa011f0dfd04f8e42249e4d84e.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Yowie said:

"Just had to wet a line" - think I heard that somewhere recently :lol:

Hooked another fish, then a dumb arsed seagull flew into the line and tangled up. By the time I landed it, the fish had broken the line and taken the lure. Not much meat on a seagull once you grab it around the neck to remove the line.

A bit of excitement for a change, though a lot of casting for what was landed. Used 12 pound mono, 15 gram metal, a whippy rod.

I'd suggest 16lb mono and fast action for seagulls mate 😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

I'd suggest 16lb mono and fast action for seagulls mate 😎

F***ing seagulls. Another boat hooked one, and it was the only thing he landed from the school of fish. You lose valuable fishing time untangling them as they fly around in the air until they land in the boat.

You feel like wringing the mongrel's neck, as they try to bite you while you are removing the line. I scoop them up with the landing net then grab hold around the neck.