Data overlay in GPS

santina

48 minutes ago, noelm said:

Lots of GPS units are in for a surprise, kind of like the computer Y2K "event" GPS units are going to kind of expire soon, most new units will be OK, but some of the older ones are in trouble.

What do u know that we dont know noelm!!! Plz share

I think it's April 6th, most older GPS units will reach their "roll over" date, it should only affect older units, probably 10 years old or more, how many of these are still in service? don't know, but I know there are definitely some, if you do a google it will explain why, and some manufacturers have a list of models, most there is a "workaround" but the real date will probably be wrong,but the device should still function. It comes about by how the GPS "chip" stores the current date, this is predetermined electronically to coincide with satellite locations, this date format was finite (20 years I believe) and that lapses this year.

Edited by noelm
Added info

9 hours ago, noelm said:

Lots of GPS units are in for a surprise, kind of like the computer Y2K "event" GPS units are going to kind of expire soon, most new units will be OK, but some of the older ones are in trouble.

Yeh & what happened when the year 2000 rolled around?????

Nothing, the world didn't explode & humanity didn't descend into kaos 😅

Sure some electrical equipment with calendars is preset with a set date stamp but doesn't mean they will cease to function after that date rolls around.

Eg, if its a digital clock it will still tell the time but wont give you the right date.

Edited by kingie chaser

Yep, correct, but the difference with this is the satellite interaction, it may amount to nothing, most won't have a GPS that old, I am not trying to tell you the sky is falling, just a simple heads up to find out if your unit is OK, take it as you will.

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Dont underestimate its impact 😁 .

Y2K was a huge event for many IT small and large businesses.  Fortunes were made.  My mate got himself a 40 footer.

I was working in IT at a University, and I can tell you it was a big deal, most people didn't know what was involved, nothing blew up, so nothing happened was the thought, but, behind the scenes lots of stuff went on. This GPS "thing" is not new, it happened 20 years ago, but GPS wasn't a big deal then to average people, but it is a common device now, so the impact might be big to some, to most they won't even know anything happened, OH, and to answer the original post, I don't know how to do what you want, a quick google might find something.

12 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Sure some electrical equipment with calendars is preset with a set date stamp but doesn't mean they will cease to function after that date rolls around.

Eg, if its a digital clock it will still tell the time but wont give you the right date.

What do you think might have happened to the millions of people who get paid electronically according to date? how about banks with time/day locks? all the ATM equipment that relies on date stamped transactions? all the Credit card transactions? sure the end consumer didn't see anything wrong, nothing to see here, but, I can assure you, a lot of work went on for months before to make sure the world didn't explode, your home computer is in the "who cares" category, but big enterprise, it was an "issue"

On 2/24/2019 at 6:29 PM, santina said:

I own a Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2. I want to put the time on the screen. I know how to put the time gauge on the screen, which I did. But I don't know how to put the time in it. Can you help please.

I don’t have a Lowrance but I assume you’d go to “Settings”, then “Time” like my Humminbird. Google is your friend. Try this YouTube video, which was the first hit.  If not, one of the other hits is sure to give the answer. Good luck!