Botany Bay 24/02/19

fisholb

Hi all

spoke to my bff late sat night and decided to hit the bay to test his new daiwa saltiga rod and my new Saragossa 8000sw

the forecast was not good at all for Sunday 3m swell with over 30kph winds plus 40% showers

got to the ramp around 8am and the car park was empty only half a dozen trailers

not looking good at all had a quick look and the water was choppy and the wind was blowing around 20kph

cant see any other boat in the water at all

anyway still decided to have a look and see if we can handle the conditions 

plan a was to catch some livebait and try the kingy spot

got to the bait spot and was surprise to see a 3m tinny with two blokes so we anchored near the other boat and started to burley 

got around half a dozen yakkas and half a dozen bream just around the 20cm mark that went back to grow more

with 6 yakkas in the tank decided to check the kingy spot and see if it’s fishable

passed mollipoint and there was not a single boat in sight 

got to the kingy spot and the swell is more than 2m

took a while to anchor and setout two livebait

Saw around a dozen surfers nearby and a lone rocks fisho with his wife and son

after about half hour the anchor came off so decided to move back to safer grounds which was plan b

put two yakkas on float and started to burley 

It didn’t take long until we got a kingy on board the boat

The kingy took the chicken fillet on a 10lb trace with size 4 circle hook

the kingy measured 50cm so back it went to grew more

the live yakkas went off and after about 5mins we got a very fat salmon on the boat

my bff finally christened his daiwa rod hoping for a hoody but the salmon fought hard and did a couple of jumps and a couple of runs which was awesome to see but no match for the rod 

for the next couple of hours we landed 4 salmon 5 kingys up to 60cm a dozen slimys and half dozen yakkas

wind started to blow harder so decided to pack up around 3pm

it was a bit rough heading back to the ramp with plenty of potholes all the way

it was a good day even though the conditions were not so ideal

hoping the kingys will be all legal by the end of next month

thanks for reading 

051A360C-33BC-493D-84B4-CA48650C5E12.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, fisholb said:

Inside the bay mate off mollipt

Sweet, Im after a salmon for my next so called 'poor mans fish' cooking/eating challenge.

Got one in the same area a few years ago & it was a nice fish, though it was a nice king the way it pulled.

I'll have to find the picture, recon it wat around 3kg?

6 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Sweet, Im after a salmon for my next so called 'poor mans fish' cooking/eating challenge.

Got one in the same area a few years ago & it was a nice fish, though it was a nice king the way it pulled.

I'll have to find the picture, recon it wat around 3kg?

We’ve been catching salmon lately on livebait around molli pt 

salmon is an excellent sports fish 

they go really hard like the kingys and you can keep them all the time for a feed

caught one on my daiwa 2000 combo and took awhile to bring it in on 10lb size 4 circle hook

I need to use at least 20lb trace next time we go fishing to decrease the bust offs

the salmon we caught were around the 2-3kg

the kids love eating salmon fillets just pan fried

• Like 1

This is the one I caught a long time ago, if I had of been able to measure it properly is probably close to 60cm at the fork which on the calculator comes in at approx. 3.5kg.

Went back so might me 6kg by now 😀

Date stamp on the pic is 9/5/2012, boy time flies 😅

On my next outing im definitely going to be getting some livies so hopefully this will get me into one of these or a King :thumbup:

Salmon.JPG

Edited by kingie chaser

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

This is the one I caught a long time ago, if I had of been able to measure it properly is probably close to 60cm at the fork which on the calculator comes in at approx. 3.5kg.

Went back so might me 6kg by now 😀

Date stamp on the pic is 9/5/2012, boy time flies 😅

On my next outing im definitely going to be getting some livies so hopefully this will get me into one of these or a King :thumbup:

Salmon.JPG

Good luck mate

always better if you can catch livebait

we always make sure we got livebait just in case we get lucky with a hoody one day