Newcastle Beach fishing

gundi4

Hi all,

Went for a quick beach session last night around the tide change with a couple of mates. Armed with some servo pillies and squid I had caught previously I was hoping for a Jew but would have settled for any sort of action. 

Thinking I would save the squid till close to the tide change we started off throwing some pillies into what we hoped would be a productive gutter and pulled out a couple of flathead first casts which was taken for a feed. Awesome start.

Things slowed down so we decided to change to squid with about 30 mins to the top of the tide. With about 10 mins to go to the change my mate about 50m down from me starts yelling and we know he’s onto to something good. I leave my rod in the rod holder and go down to see what’s what.

He fights it all the way to the sand and we can see chrome. It’s a Jew!!! A wave comes in a covers the fish and the fish turns and struggles to win his freedom and pop goes the leader. We are all devastated understandably and turns out in a panic he dialled up the drag late in the fight which I’m thinking is the cause of the leader failure. Rookie error! Banter and abuse get thrown his way immediately and he gives it straight back saying surely it was a NSW record Jew and that’s why it broke the line 😂

So with that done and dusted I go back to my rod laughing at my mate for being a dumbass but also disappointed he didn’t land it but also excited that there are jew around.

Anticipation is creeping higher and 5 mins later anticipation turned to a holy shit moment when I hook up to something that is giving me the run around and head shaking all over the place. Woooohooooo!!!

After a good little tussle I pull up a little Jewie that I didn’t bother measuring as I knew it was undersize but was pumped all the same. So back into the drink she went after a quick snap

A4973604-A6FB-4C8C-8DA5-3A33FAE22955.thumb.png.e0be7bf5ce3efb5146eb7f2bd46e61db.png

Quick re bait and cast and not 1 min later me and my mate have a double hookup. Yeaaaahhhhh the boyyyysss!!! We both land similar size Jew to the first one. Both go straight back into the drink and even though not massive the action was hot and we are pumped.  No photo of these two as my mate (you know which one) took a terrible photo which was completely out of focus. 

Anyway no more bites after that but went home happy and determined to land a biggun in the not so distant future. 

Thanks for reading 

• Like 6

Good stuff.

Tell your mate, DO NOT apply more pressure on a drag near the end of a fight, especially in the rough-and-tumble of a surf fight. Apply finger pressure to the spool if more tension is needed, release the finger pressure if the fish takes off.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great session & nice photo,  the surge of the shore breakers can be tricky especially with a decent fish, let it tire out before bringing it into the breakers & use the wave action to help get it in & use finger pressure as  Yowie suggested, keep at it & good luck with a big one

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Good stuff.

Tell your mate, DO NOT apply more pressure on a drag near the end of a fight, especially in the rough-and-tumble of a surf fight. Apply finger pressure to the spool if more tension is needed, release the finger pressure if the fish takes off.

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Sounds like a great session & nice photo,  the surge of the shore breakers can be tricky especially with a decent fish, let it tire out before bringing it into the breakers & use the wave action to help get it in & use finger pressure as  Yowie suggested, keep at it & good luck with a big one

Good advice. Thanks. Will pass it on