Unfreeze to salt?

GoingFishing

Gday raiders. I have a stripey which i wacked in the freezer as i ran out of time and had to go to a family gathering after one of my recent trips.

Has anyone tried unfreezing, filletin, salting then freezing again?

Any tips welcome

Edited by GoingFishing

I prefer to just keep whole and cut baits off as I need them, a decent Stripey will be enough for a Snapper trip, but I guess you could fillet it when only half defrosted to salt it, mind you, I have never been a huge fan of salted bait.

Thjnk it might be too soft after de-frosting.

Would have been better to cut off the fillets, into the fridge in a good quality plastic bag, and once home to add salt for a day or 2 before freezing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I prefer to just keep whole and cut baits off as I need them, a decent Stripey will be enough for a Snapper trip, but I guess you could fillet it when only half defrosted to salt it, mind you, I have never been a huge fan of salted bait.

I have been salting fillets of yakka, tailor, trevally, small tuna, mullet, mackerel for about 50 years, in to the freezer and thaw before heading out fishing. Some fillets more than 12 months old, still catch fish on them.

Salted bait works, never said it didn't, but (in my opinion) fresh, or frozen beats salted any day, Stripey will not go soft once thawed, unlike (say) Slimies, fresh Stripey is my preferred Snapper bait, just cut bait sized bits off as you go and use the extra flesh left as bits of burley.

Stripey will stay firm when defrosted, Slimies go mushy, my mate uses Slimies almost exclusively for bait (because they are easy to catch and free) he fillets them, puts them in old Chinese containers with some coarse salt and freezes straight away, they never really get salted as such, but are firm when defrosted, and stack nice and neat in his bait freezer in the rectangular containers.