Botany Bay - 28/03/19

jtp

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted in a while as haven't been out fishing much. Had a weekday off which is pretty much my preferred time to fish now; don't like to contend with the weekend crowds. 

Got out to botany bay at 6am with the boat and a couple of friends who have never really been fishing before. Got out on the water when it was still dark. Waited for first light then trolled various lures at varying lengths and depths. Started from the runways and made our way out the heads.

Picked up the first and largest bonito of the day at 60cm at one of the red channel markers where it was hanging around a baitball in the middle of the water column. Caught the other 2 bonito outside along the coast. No surface action and the bait was hanging down deep. The deep diver got all the hits. Only spent a short time out as my friend got sea sick. Headed in to la perouse and picked up one squid.

Anchored at the runway and cubed for some salmon, rats, bream, snapper and trevally. Took the 33cm snapper, one 29m bream, one 32cm trevally and one of the salmon for the table. Released quite a few bream and trevally that were just legal as we had enough fish between the 3 of us. Unfortunately pickers took our live squid bait. 

Got back home and cleaned the boat by 12pm. Friends were chuffed and looking forward to the next outing.

Thanks for reading!

Joe

20190328_112052.jpg

• Like 7

Well done Joe . The bay seems to have a lot of fish at the moment which are good fun.

Last weekend I was using yakkas for the kingies and they gobbled them up where as the week before they would not touch them. Seems a bit strange that two weeks ago the bay was full of slimies and for me they are a bit thin.

The secret for me is burley , burley and more burley to attract the bait fish which in turn attract the predators.

Anyway good job and tight lines.

The Skipper

On 3/29/2019 at 7:42 AM, the skipper said:

Well done Joe . The bay seems to have a lot of fish at the moment which are good fun.

Last weekend I was using yakkas for the kingies and they gobbled them up where as the week before they would not touch them. Seems a bit strange that two weeks ago the bay was full of slimies and for me they are a bit thin.

The secret for me is burley , burley and more burley to attract the bait fish which in turn attract the predators.

Anyway good job and tight lines.

The Skipper

Thanks mate. I have burley going the whole time I'm on the boat (even when I am trolling) and agree, without it would get no where near as much action. The rat kings were taking cubed pilchards as well but were harder to entice then when I went a few weeks back. 

On 3/29/2019 at 9:53 AM, Gabm said:

Excellent day out. Thanks for sharing. I didn’t realise you could get snapper that large in the bay!

Thanks Gab. Mostly the smaller ones but occasionally you do get a legal one in the mix. 

16 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Good report, mixed bag & converting a couple of newbies, nothing better than having a couple of mates who don’t really fish keen for another session 

Yep they are well and truly hooked on the experience!