Winter blue swimmers

BrettP

It depends on water temp, if it's still warm, there's crabs, when it cools off, they disappear, during winter you will still get the odd one, you just have to decide if it's worth the effort, right now, there's plenty around, and winter is only a few days away.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, noelm said:

It depends on water temp, if it's still warm, there's crabs, when it cools off, they disappear, during winter you will still get the odd one, you just have to decide if it's worth the effort, right now, there's plenty around, and winter is only a few days away.

Have to agree with Noelm good advice

I don't know if blue swimmers are the same, but I've picked up a couple of mud crabs through winter and they have had very little meat in them and not worth the trouble. Nothing like the ones I get through the warmer months.

In the winter, maybe they’re breeding or busy trying to look after young? A guy from my fishing club in Sydney who fishes the rocks in Royal National Park said the kingfish lately have been full of blue swimmer crab larvae.

Photo courtesy of Phil Turner, St George Sportfishing Club:

2B043A8F-1278-4CCF-AF23-2C86F6B0328F.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

.... crabs through winter and they have had very little meat in them and not worth the trouble. Nothing like the ones I get through the warmer months.

I suspect it'd be as Green Hornet said - might get a few but they'd be low on meat

Caught plenty during winter and never noticed any difference in meat content, Muddies however do seem to be "light" now and then, even in summer, maybe depends on how recently they have shed?

7 minutes ago, noelm said:

Caught plenty during winter and never noticed any difference in meat content, Muddies however do seem to be "light" now and then, even in summer, maybe depends on how recently they have shed?

I dont target crabs in winter but have taken the odd one as bycatch, i just think lower water temps slow their metabolism down, agree with you Noel i cant say ive ever had an "empty" blue swimmer, had plenty of empth muddies though.