Slow jigging reel?

anthman

Hey guys, i've seen tonnes of videos of people slow pitch jigging with exotic sounding reels - these are on what look like micro jig rods (storm gomoku, for example). The reels look really small (people where able to mostly cover reels with one hand).

Can anyone suggest an entry level jigging reel avail in the Australian market? Some are star drag, some are lever - not sure which would be best .

I've been looking into this myself. There seems to be an endless amount of options.

From what i can tell you want a small overhead with an oversize handle and a gear ratio of somewhere between 5.5 & 7.5. You also want something capable of around 10-12kg of drag.

I'm thinking of buying one of the cheaper chinese copies to see if the style of fishing suits me before i get too excited

1 hour ago, anthman said:

Hey guys, i've seen tonnes of videos of people slow pitch jigging with exotic sounding reels - these are on what look like micro jig rods (storm gomoku, for example). The reels look really small (people where able to mostly cover reels with one hand).

Can anyone suggest an entry level jigging reel avail in the Australian market? Some are star drag, some are lever - not sure which would be best .

FJ 4000 Stradic. Is a good reel for slow pitch jigging. Has a good retrieve and a big handle. Also good a good all round reel. I have this paired with a Gomoku Blue. 

Very happy with the set up. Use it to jig for Kings with very good success. 

47 minutes ago, recurve said:

FJ 4000 Stradic. Is a good reel for slow pitch jigging. Has a good retrieve and a big handle. Also good a good all round reel. I have this paired with a Gomoku Blue. 

Very happy with the set up. Use it to jig for Kings with very good success. 

Why not FJ5000 or FK5000? atleast you get a power knob instead of the paddle knob

Sorry forgot to add - they are all overhead reels!

Ive got spinning covered, but very interested in the jigging overhead reels (not the huge trolling ones!)

Isnt much in the Aus domestic market. Besides top end ocea jiggers and saltiga jigging overhead.

In the japanese domistic markets, i know they use Ocea conquest and saltiga ryoga.

Not entry level or very budget friendly. But these are more slow pitch jigging.

Maybe daiwa Lexa? i believe you can get these in a left hand wind also

What sort of gear ratio are you looking at??

Isn't this what we are talking about rather than size??

I recall seeing a dual speed/geared reel on a fishing show a while ago.

Could have been a either Daiwa or Shimano but it was an overhead.

To me a reel like this gives you the best of both worlds!

Edited by kingie chaser