Port Hacking

Yowie

Was at my mother's place on Gunnamatta Bay yesterday arvo, re-tying hooks on the lines for a session this morning. Looked in the water on the afternoon high tide and saw half a dozen sea mullet and several blackfish cruising about. Threw out a handful of burley pellets and a good sized bream turned up after a short while. Still fish about.

Before I headed out early this morning, I threw out a line with a salted slimy strip and pulled out the bream. Happy with that one.

Headed up river to find some shelter from the wind, but nowhere much to hide. Motoring into the westerly wind in an open tinny was cold. :frozen:

Anchored up from Lilli Pilli and pulled out the tailor early, also bitten off by a good one beside the boat. They all took pillies sitting on the bottom. At this time of year, the bigger tailor feed near the bottom in the Hacking, so no surface action to see.

Then the reddies came on the bite, dozens of them and none of legal size, eating any bait thrown at them. Under the boat were jackets, many small chinaman ones of too small a size to keep, but I managed a few keepers then headed home.

Very few boats out this morning.

fish.jpeg_193.thumb.png.88dfc908c485aed56ba4132f7b0dc04e.png

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Nice mixed bag Yowie.  I know sometimes leatherjacket are pests when targeting other species, but they cook up nice. Well done.

Thank you. Forgot to mention a salmon around the 50cm mark that was released, it was banging around on the bottom like a nice reddie, then headed to the surface so not a reddie.:o

The fishing is slowing down now, but there are still jackets in places, and they are good eating at the smaller size, rather than the bigger ones from outside.

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Nice work yowie! The season is definitely changing and that wind cuts straight through you! 🥶

Do you find larger reds in the hacking this time of year? 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie.

Was heading back to Sydney from Mudgee on Monday when the snow started falling at Blackheath, that was cold in shorts and thongs walking around looking for some lunch.:lol: Winter has definitely started now.

I find the biggest reddies inside the Hacking during March, April, May. It can vary in different years, sometimes I have found a few during winter, though not too often. I have been picking up a few over the last couple of months, though no legal ones yesterday.

7 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Nice work Yowie, cracker of a bream to get before you even launch the boat!!

Rich

When I hauled it up onto the wharf in the darkness, I thought it was just some mongrel fish until I focused on it and realised it was a good sized bream.