Easy cheap way to single launch most boats

Fishn50

After having 4 different boats over the years with each heavier than the last i had to find a new way to single launch each of them when needed. With my first 2 tinnies i used to have a long piece of Telstra rope tied to the front and pushed it off the trailer and guided it with the rope to where it needed to be. It worked but wasn't perfect. Problem was carrying so much rope and if the wind was up or i couldn't get a spot next to the wharf.

With my latest boat i devised a very simple way that most people could do to single launch. Simply i put a stainless steel Hose Clam around a U Bolt thats on the wench post. I then put a stainless steel Snap Hook through the Hose Clam. Lastly i used a Cambuckle Tie Down put it through the snap hook the over the bow, inside the rail. 

All i do to launch is have the cambuckle very tight, unwind the wench strap slowly until it tights the cambuckle which now holds the boat from moving back anymore, undo the safety chain then unclip the wench strap, i climb on the boat get the engine in position/ started then release the cambuckle and away i go.

I use this on my 5M Trailcraft Plate boat, all weighing around 1 ton. It works every time perfectly.

I had looked into the whats available to buy such as boat latch ect but just love how simple this is and it all cost less than $25 all from Bunnings. Please see photos below, if you have any questions please ask. I hope you find this helpful.

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

There is actually a much easier solution, which could save you even $25 !!

Start motor, shift into forward gear (as slow or close to neutral as you possibly can be), the boat now wont be going anywhere as it is pushing against the rubber bow support on the winch stand. Walk to the front, undo the chain and the strap. Hit reverse and off you go.

• Thanks 1

I don’t generally put the trailer far enough into the water that I can start the motor while it’s still hard up against the winch post. 🤔 I’ve looked at different techniques for solo launching but figured I’d still have to climb into the boat while it’s on the trailer, pull the boat up on the beach (if no jetty), tie it off somewhere, park the car and trailer, push off and climb back into the boat! 😂

On 6/23/2019 at 2:30 PM, browncrab said:

I launch my 23ft sharkcat solo by pushing it off the trailer with a rope attached then walking around to the jetty to tie it off.

That also works....but the way I've suggested is equally as good, and comes in handy when your launching at busy ramps such as botany and you end up with a middle lane, or shallow ramps where the trailer can't go back too far, or if your rollers are stiff and your boat is heavy !!!! The list could go on.

Edited by GoingFishing