converting a 2004 merc 60hp 4 stroke from tiller to side console.

Benzo99

Hi guys,

Was just wondering what the cost would be at a rough estimate to convert a 60hp mercury 4 stroke tiller steer to a side console with new wiring for all accessories and also new motor wiring. I want to start fresh. Was hoping to keep the fuel tank in the same portable configuration as it currently is up the back and put a sensor in one of the tanks to measure fuel level so i can get a read at the side console. Please let me know if this can/can't be done. Thanks guys. I will most likely be getting it done at a dealer, I just want to shop around and make sure I don't get ripped off. Thanks in advance. 

What about a method for the cables to enter the motor? what about the bit sticking out the tiller fits onto? what about a complete wiring harness, full controls and cables? none of that is cheap, or a 5 minute job.

First question would be if you own a small -sub 4.5 m boat why would you want to whack a space eating side console into it? Side consoles have a few limitaitions- they reduce access  to one side of the boat, you have to drive sitting-so you might as well keep the tiller steer , anyway- the conversion will cost you more than buying and fitting a new motor (not including trade in)

Wow, wide open question, would need lots more info to answer correctly. Firstly the motor would need to be electric start ?. Then you need a console anything from $300 to $1000 then a control box with wiring probably around $600 ( or you could buy 2nd hand ) then comes the control cables, depending on length's approx. $100 each X 2 do you want tachos and trim gauge etc ?. you would need steering helm and cables standard approx  $ 300 OR hydraulic $700-1200 I wouldn't be installing a fuel gauge into a tank that doesn't already have one ( it will let you down eventually ) and then labor $100 or so per hour for apprentice to play with it for god knows how many hours. My guess is you might get away with it for around your $3000. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide and get a few quotes. Don't forget that a dealership has the right to charge 10 percent of the quote IF the job is not accepted, not many would do it but they can.

Frank

Thanks for all your help guys. My boat is a 5.2 meter quintrex dory btw. I have decided to keep it a tiller, I solved the weight problem by adding a big battery up the front. Cheers.