Copeton Dam

bessell1955

I am heading off to Copeton Dam with a few mates this weekend.  They have been there a couple of months ago and they all stated that they caught a number of good quality Cod.  I wonder if any other Fishradier's   have been there and can they give me any advice ?

2 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Yes, I will.  How about bait fishing?

Don't bother with anything but yabbies the spangled perch are a plague.... as Rick said 3000 casts I would say 9000 and don't be afraid to chuck big lures, it only took me 20 something years to get my first copeton cod 

• Like 4

There’s a little creek that runs through the park in Glen Innes. Spent many a time catching heaps of yabbies there! Some good memories taking the kids there and catching a bucket load. Then release them all before we went home! 

Good luck at the dam and rug up! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Well we returned back from Copeton last night and what a great weekend it was.  Apart from the traffic delay on the Putty Road due to a fatal motorcycle accident.  Poor bugger.  We caught three Cod  and lost one.  The Cod were 1.07 m.   1 m and .086.  All were released and one took it upon itself to release itself before it was landed, so we did not know its size.

Three were caught using chicken breast for bait and one, the 1.07 m was caught on cheese for bait.  Bega cheese of course, The dam is down to 2% capacity and there is no inflow.    Dirvin 1, spangled perch, no-one I spoke to at Copeton had heard of them.  Maybe I need to speak to others. 

Richmarlin62 thank you for your advice about lures, we took it on board and did not use them.  We found that bait fishing was more productive.

As to myself, I can not catch a cold.  All the others were on and I was not.  As it has been stated before, " That is why it is called fishing "

Thank you drivin21, about the explanation of spangled perch.  I now understand.  With the water level so low, perhaps the big cod are on the munch and eat everything.  Yes richmarlin2 "fishing not catching:  I thank all fishradies that have offered advice.

• Like 1

Just an aside to this story. Where I live (in southern NSW) we cannot get shrimps or yabbies using conventional methods as they hibernate during the cooler months. Is this NOT the case further North? What do you reckon Trav, Rick, and Dave? U can still buy them, but they are specifically kept in conditions that permit them to stay alive when their natural environment is freezing cold. bn

Big Neil in the Hawkesbury there are no Yabbies.  There are prawns in river, but only in the warmer months.  Some mates have stocked their dams with yabbies and they have told me that the yabbies shut down in the cooler months.