Atmospheric pressure

chris b

I personally am not convinced it plays a huge part, a fish only has to move up or down in the water slightly and the pressure varies many times more than air pressure, air pressure might play a part in freshwater fishing, where pressure might influence insect life emergence and activity maybe, but a (say) Snapper in 20m of water would not feel any difference in barometric variance.

Hi Chris,

I bought this up last year because thinking about it as a mental exercise it doesn't make a lot of sense. My full reasoning can be found at:

Work out the maximum and minimum pressures on this planet (in my explanation) and then convert to mm water column. Daily the tides fluctuate greater than that amount. Lets throw in some waves or big swell of several metres and allow for the fact fish move up and down frequently in the water column.

One of the arguments for the theory was that someone pointed out that a southerly/northerly/whatever moved in and they had one of the best sessions. Pressure change might be a trigger but I get the feeling that the light change with the clouds moving in or the ripples and waves forming on the water are more likely to be the trigger.

Regards,

Derek

One of the other theoretical points I didn't raise at the time relates to the Galileo thermometer - A Galileo thermometer (or Galilean thermometer) is a thermometer made of a sealed glass cylinder containing a clear liquid and several glass vessels of varying density. The individual floats rise or fall in proportion to their respective density and the density of the surrounding liquid as the temperature changes.

Now how that relates to fish is that they could be treated like the individual floats in the thermometer. They have a swim bladder and density. As pressure decreases or increases they should natural float up or down to the point of neutral buoyancy. Unless they are specifically trying to hold position they shouldn't notice fluctuations as they would be compensating for pressure changes automatically.