Kingfish Outfit

Mondo Rock

Hi Raiders

I'm looking to get two complete rod/reel combos for the new boat that are capable of catching Kingies up to about 15kgs. Does anyone have any suggestions as to:

a) Type of reel

B) Type of rod

c) Type and weight of line.

At the moment my wish list is the big Shimano Stradic spooled with 30lb braid on a Shimano T-Curve Jig rod. I want to give the fish a fighting chance, but I also don't want to be busted off every time!!

All advice will be VERY well received.

Mondo.

It all comes down to what you want to spend on a outfit. I have 3 outfits that I use for kings 1 is a 10kg outfit which is a shamino 650 baitrunner spingging reel matched to a 10kg double handed ugly stick loaded with fire line the other is also a 10kg outfit a shimano TLD 20 with a matching backbone rod loaded with mono the other is a TLD 25 loaded with 15kg mono on a 15 kg backbone rod. Both the over heads a very good trolling outfits and the egg beater for spinning and throwing live baits and all 3 outfits can be used for live baiting and the spinning outfit for jigging :thumbup:

Thanks Kikila - I have a Shimano TLD 20 already and was wondering how heavy to spool it up and what rod to therefore match it with. Other than that I don't have much in the way of Kingfish gear but I was thinking that I should have at least one threadline outfit so I can cast to marker buoys etc.

I hadn't considered the Baitrunners, but now that you mention that you have one I think I'll have a closer look. Might check out ebay.

Can I ask how heavy the line you use is? Given the capacity for these buggers to bust people off I'm wondering whether to go below 30lb mainline - might even go up to 50lb if need be.

OK - I've been cruising the city tackle shops at lunchtime and the following threadline reels have been suggested to me as suitable for spooling w/ 30lb braid and chasing kingies up to about 15kg (combination flick, live bait, troll and jig):

Daiwa Capricorn CA 4500J

Daiwa Entoh T5500

Shimano Baitrunner 6500, and

Shimano Spheros

Penn Spinfisher series

I've now been twice warned off the Shimano Stradics (dunno why really), plus they seem to have a small spool capacity, so they're off the list.

Does anyone have any experience with these reels? If so, what are the pluses and minuses?

Mondo

Spheros or baitrunner would be my pick. The spinfisher is an awesome reel and I use my 8500ss all the time for livebaiting, but they really don't lay braided lines well like the baitrunners or a spheros and if you plan on going braid then I would personally not look at it. If penn is still on your list or preferred brands, also have a look at the Penn slammer 560 or liveliner. Never seen those daiwas before so can't comment.

Good day Mondo ive been using a Penn Spinfisher

9500 with 15Kg Berkley Fireline without any probs

for a couple of years now (i do get the boys at the tackle shop to put the line on for me though)

Great all round reel with exellent drag.

Gaff

hi all,

just add another opinion to this argument... i use a Diawa Team Advantage 4500S for all my king work loaded with 30lb tortue braid ($130 for 300m...i know i know) which is the thinnest braid for diameter i have ever seen...real skinny stuff. This allows me to cast lures a long way, have ample stopping power via a great drag, live bait all for a very resonable price... IMO leaves a shimano baitrunner for dead (i have the 4500).

Now only $199 (i paid $350 1 year ago...spewin) at campbells pro tackle...online shop for those who havent heard of it

Well Raiders, I asked and I received! :1clap:

So far I think that each of the reels that I have suggested has been individually recommended by at least one of you, plus you've suggested a number of other reels.

I think the lesson that I'm taking away from this is that there are a whole bunch of reels between the $200 - $350 mark that will capably handle Sydney Kings. There does not appear to be a standout 'kingy reel' - unless of course I'm willing to spend the big bucks on a Saltiga or Stella (which I'm not).

I see this as great news - it means that I don't need to go mental trying to ensure that I have exactly the right reel for the job (I am occasionaly accused of being somewhat anal about my fishing gear - I'm sure y'all understand :P ).

I will definitely be checking out the Daiwa Team Advantage, the Penn Spinfisher and Liveliner and the Spheros over the weekend. The Shimano Baitrunner is still in the running, but given its size and weight in comparison to the other reels mentioned it may be slipping back down the list . . .

Thanks for all your advice! :thumbup:

Mondo

just saw one of the daiwa advantages 2500 for US$45 on ebay Item number: 7199741314

bloody cheeeeeeap

You had the chance raiders but i got it...ha ha ha

I paid US$51 for this reel plus postage and insurance it worked out to be AU$96 for a reel a year ago i bought for $350 smacks.... gotta love the internet.

I'll never buy a reel from a tackle store again

Hi Raiders

I'm looking to get two complete rod/reel combos for the new boat that are capable of catching Kingies up to about 15kgs. Does anyone have any suggestions as to:

a) Type of reel

B) Type of rod

c) Type and weight of line.

At the moment my wish list is the big Shimano Stradic spooled with 30lb braid on a Shimano T-Curve Jig rod. I want to give the fish a fighting chance, but I also don't want to be busted off every time!!

All advice will be VERY well received.

Mondo.

Mate

I think Red might still have a Shimano T-Curve Jig rod for sale.. I just picked one up from him and it was in top nic..

Check out in the tackle swap/sell section and you will see his add. its under the topic "Shimano Tld 25 And T-curve Rod For Sale"

Cheers

Edited by Coach

Hey KingsRule - I reckon you're right, that IS hella cheap.

I just bought a Baitrunner 6500 from the Ken Appel Fish & Dive shop in Taren Point for $239. Basically you're saying that if I'd gone to the fish outta water sale I could have picked up a Spectrum rod for only $30 more!!!

BUMMER!

Nah - I'm happy with what I paid. The Ken Appel shop is awesome, by the way - unbelievable range and some great deals at the moment.

Mondo

Coach - I've just asked Red whether the rod is set up for threadlines or overhead (if it is overhead then its a no-go as I've just bought a baitrunner to match it with).

But thanks heaps for the suggestion - regardless of the outcome!!

Mondo