Rock fishing set up

kingbonito

Hi kingbonito the "Venom" series of rods are designed for o/head reels and are about 8 ft long. Wilson used to make a LBG special (fibreglass) about 8+half ft long 15-25 kg purpose built- they are an excellent, tough rod if you can find one. Match with a Shimano TLD 30, maybe not as fancy as more expensive reels but they work well and are built well, have 3 sizes (15,25 and 2 speed 30) all over 15 yrs old and never replaced a part

• Like 1

I almost bought Wilson one - it looked nice, however 1 piece was not much comfortable for transportation. You can also check online  NZ tackle shops  where LBG o/head rods are more common and more affordable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rob81 said:

Was this the yellowfin?

Yes, I didn't ask about the size, as I didn't, still, don't believe yellowfin could be so close to the shore. He told me the location--I searched it, I forgot it now....

34 minutes ago, Marmot said:

Yes, I didn't ask about the size, as I didn't, still, don't believe yellowfin could be so close to the shore. He told me the location--I searched it, I forgot it now....

Yellowfin used to be quite a regular capture from the shore at places like the rock platforms around Beecroft Peninsula, Jervis Bay, back in the day. 😉 I’ve also seen them quite near shore in the SouthWest Arm, Port Hacking. I hand fed one from my boat which was anchored about 10m from the bank (bugger wouldn’t take a bait with a hook in it!). Sadly, you have to fish pretty wide for them these days.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:29 PM, Berleyguts said:

Yellowfin used to be quite a regular capture from the shore at places like the rock platforms around Beecroft Peninsula, Jervis Bay, back in the day. 😉 I’ve also seen them quite near shore in the SouthWest Arm, Port Hacking. I hand fed one from my boat which was anchored about 10m from the bank (bugger wouldn’t take a bait with a hook in it!). Sadly, you have to fish pretty wide for them these days.

I guess that's because of over-fishing. Every time I see some people, especially near Ugly bridge, and estuary of Cook River), catch fish no matter of the sizes, I feel bad.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

Yeah I remember the Yellowfin on ISO, I heard it was full of worms, hence the it wasn't a big fight for the species as usual and could explain why it was closer to shore than usual that time. But I have seen other reports of yellowfin caught shore based before, just not landed on ISO.