Kingfish at night

Volitan

Hi Volitan, I can remember at least 3 club comps that heaps of Kings got caught at the Peak at night. Not on livey's either, the nights were organised "Snapper trips" with a fair few boats. Only a couple of Snapper weighed-in but boxes of Kingfish and a fair few big Blurter's(Silver Trevally). Admittedly there were still masses of Kings there then (around 1977)

These trips were always organised for the week of first quarter to full moon. Gar's Pillies, Prawns and Stripey's the bait

The guys on the NZ fishing shows get them at night at White Island on Flying Fish- both live and dead.

Caught a few rat sized at Sow and Pigs on prawns while fishing for Blurters in the dark and got smashed by them a few times fishing Neilson Park dolphins after dark

I have never caught kingies at night. I don't fish specifically for them, however, I pick up a few from time to time during daylight hours.

After a dump of rain when the water turns a bit murky, I have pulled out a kingie or 2. They seem more inclined to grab a bait in the murky water.

On 11/10/2019 at 3:07 PM, Yowie said:

After a dump of rain when the water turns a bit murky, I have pulled out a kingie or 2. They seem more inclined to grab a bait in the murky water.

Sight-hunter becomes scavenger when the water is too murky to see and run down its prey, I guess.