Long cast surf reels

Howdoweplaythis

I am thinking of investing in a long cast surf reel like the one pictured below. Currently using a Pfleuger Salt 60 with 40lb braid for my surf outfit but sometimes find my casts fall a bit short of my intended distance. 

Anybody have experience with these reels? Are they worth it? How much more distance do they give? Any recommendations of models? 

Cheers

61JZaciiXML._SX425_.jpg

I know little about long cast spin reels but might I ask what you're fishing for from a beach that requires 40lb braid?

If you're looking to get more distance from your casts, the first thing I'd be doing is dropping my braid back to 20 or even 15lb.

Its also a mighty tough job fishing 40lb line to its limit off a beach rod.

This may not be the answer you're looking for but I'm just putting it out there that perhaps a good quality, 8 strand braid braid in a lighter weight would be a better investment than a new reel.

• Like 2

I use two reels. Fin-Nor 100 Lethal and a Shimano Ulterga 14000 on a Wilson 13' rod one piece.

Both cast a country mile but I use top of the range Mono 15lb, I have no problems catching fish.

If you want to stick to Braid listen to Green Hornet,he has been around a long time fishing.

Cheers.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rebel said:

I use two reels. Fin-Nor 100 Lethal and a Shimano Ulterga 14000 on a Wilson 13' rod one piece.

Both cast a country mile but I use top of the range Mono 15lb, I have no problems catching fish.

If you want to stick to Braid listen to Green Hornet,he has been around a long time fishing.

Cheers.

I use braid on the beach when throwing lures, which is what I do most of the time. On the rare occasions I soak a bait, its time to dust off the alveys loaded with low stretch mono. 

Like Rick, I've caught my share of decent jew and big bronzies from the beach on 20lb mono and never felt undergunned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Howdoweplaythis said:

Thanks folks, i'll probably invest in some 20lb line then and save some cash. 

Out of interest what rig is everybody using off the beach for jewfish? 

I'm using a 13'6" Gary Howard surf classic along with an Alvey 650A5 and 20lb Suffix low stretch mono.

I used to use an old Butterworth 8-144. It was good but heavy to hold and almost double the weight of the surf classic, which means a lot to me as I don't like the rod in a holder when fishing for jew. 

Love the control of a direct wind Alvey plus the fun factor of palming the spool when a fish takes a run and really liking the suffix as a sensitive mono.

13 minutes ago, Howdoweplaythis said:

Do you normally put your bait on a running sinker rig or paternoster? 

A paternoster.

I slide the ring of a swivel onto the main line so its free sliding then tie another swivel to the end of the main line. On the sliding swivel goes a short trace and sinker. Off the tied swivel goes about 60cm of 15kg to my bait.

That way my bait is very free sliding if I feel I need to give the fish a bit of line before striking. Small baits I strike pretty much straight away and larger baits I give the fish a couple of metres first.

• Like 1