Getting frustrated... Ballistol help!

Daviddf

Getting mighty frustrated with conflicting pieces of advice from Shimano regarding the suitability of Ballistol for internal use as a lubricant in my shimano reel.  

All I want to do is take care of my reels as best as possible without taking them apart and voiding warranty. So I am limited to applying product externally and through the service port. 

Not a lot of products are readily available in Australia and the ones that are mostly require direct internal access or must be designed for fishing reels. 

Alan Hawk claims only spray grease should be applied through the service port. Logic forces me to agree with him. 

A quick clean of my daiwa line roller assembly indicated that Ballistol does dissolve grease.

Shimano claims it doesn’t.    !!!! 

I don’t think it is wise to drop Ballistol in the service port knowing that it will dissolve the grease off the gears. Further, should water get inside the reel, Ballistol will emulsify, leaving the gears with no lube or any protection from salt water. Hence the need for a quality grease, not only for lubrication but also for corrosion resistance. 

I will almost certainly need to send my reel in to get re-greased and serviced if Ballistol strips the grease... which defeats the purpose of trying to maintain the reel myself. 

The only product I can find - shimano grease spray - which is said to be ideal for use through the service port is apparently... not sold by Shimano Australia... really. The only option I see is to pay through the nose to import shimano grease spray from overseas. 

Daiwa also states on their website that oils will strip grease and advises against it. 

So what am I supposed to do? why can’t there be consensus? 

I want to trust shimano, i do. I love them as a company. But I’m worried about ruining my reel and forcing myself into a costly downtime.

I would appreciate it if someone could help clear up this matter. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Daviddf

Never used Ballistol. And i know importing the shimano grease sprays are a pain.

While i dont use the service ports as i service my reels after every season.

Are the inox mx5 oil dropper bottles an option? i use them to oil my finesse reel bearings and roller bearings. Never had an issue with it dissolving grease.

Thanks for your response. I have seen inox mx5 stocked at a few stores but I never thought to use a different oil. It may work, but I’m thinking to find an alternative spray grease if I can’t get my hands on shimanos grease. 

cheers. 

Edited by Daviddf

I use Quantum grease and oil. As well as an old Abu grease I have. Even use  3 in One I got from IGA. Anything clags up it gets drowned in WD, then dosed with one of the above. Got reels that are 20 yrs old and still work great. Rollers on the bail arms that spin free as, zzzzzzz, after I pull some line through them and let em go after a clean. So many companies, just like car manufacturers, want you to think that unless you use A or B will result in catastrophic failure. Total, utter, BS. You'd think, they'd like you to, that they made them out or rare earth or other planet materials. Its all about "kaching kaching kaching".

14 hours ago, TAZ said:

I use Quantum grease and oil. As well as an old Abu grease I have. Even use  3 in One I got from IGA. Anything clags up it gets drowned in WD, then dosed with one of the above. Got reels that are 20 yrs old and still work great. Rollers on the bail arms that spin free as, zzzzzzz, after I pull some line through them and let em go after a clean. So many companies, just like car manufacturers, want you to think that unless you use A or B will result in catastrophic failure. Total, utter, BS. You'd think, they'd like you to, that they made them out or rare earth or other planet materials. Its all about "kaching kaching kaching".

youve got that right! take the side plate of and grease it. probably wont need it done before its 10years old anyway if its anything from Stradic upwards in Shimanos range of reels.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I’ve purchased everything I need.

Ace-2 drag grease, space age grease, inox grease and turns out Ballistol is ok for high friction points. Grease is mostly all that’s needed.