Live bait from rocks

Admis

Hey guys still new to this forum but just wanting a few tips for if I'm doing something wrong I've been catching some little yellowtail live bait and I either put the hook through the back or nose just wondering if anything around my area would hit them because I've tried for nearly 2 weeks now and nothing has hit them I normally put a balloon or a float on it with about a metre between the hook and float and is that the right way to put the hook through the nose and back? and anything even around this time of year to hit a live bait of that size?

662559825_2019-11-29(2).thumb.png.ed155eb63592335fa551695a00eb2086.png

2 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Try fishing deeper  around 15 / 18ft deep......less chance of gannets nailing them      best to hook yakkas thru back  there head and mouth area arnt strong enough for nose hooking

Um I know boat harbour is pretty deep but do you know any apps or something that shows me how deep places are? because I really don't know how to tell unless I can't see the bottom xd

On 11/29/2019 at 1:59 PM, Admis said:

Um I know boat harbour is pretty deep but do you know any apps or something that shows me how deep places are? because I really don't know how to tell unless I can't see the bottom xd

Hi Admis,

If I am not mistaken, I think that Rick means to set the bait deeper under the balloon, maybe 15-18ft below it. Obviously you won’t be able to cast it if it is fixed at that depth, so you will need to figure out how to let the balloon run on the line, with a stopper at the specified depth.

Hope this helps.

Mike

8 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Hi Admis,

If I am not mistaken, I think that Rick means to set the bait deeper under the balloon, maybe 15-18ft below it. Obviously you won’t be able to cast it if it is fixed at that depth, so you will need to figure out how to let the balloon run on the line, with a stopper at the specified depth.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Thanks i'll try to do it next time I go fishing 

If you want to fish a deep bait I suggest you ditch the balloon and use one of those torpedo bobby corks instead.

Use a leader length the depth you want to fish tied to your main line with whatever knot you prefer, not a swivel. Then just slide the bobby cork onto the leader before tying the hook.

When fishing, as soon a the yakka hits the water he will dive and the cork will slide up the leader and the knot will act as a stopper.

Its quite a common rig amongst the land based game fraternity. Plus you can wind the leader knot up through the guides for easy casting.