Charters Northern NSW

Jiggy

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on going north in March/April this year to beat my PB on Spanish Mackerel. Should be easy as my current PB is 0! Given that I've not chased them before I wouldn't mind a charter that would target them, if anyone has any charters that they recommend please let me know. FYI pretty flexible for area so anywhere from Ballina to SWR would be great.

Oh and pm's please.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

i can think of a couple who would chase spannies for you but generally only as a private charter, unfortunately most of the boats prefer bottom bashing in the area up their that i am familiar with (Coffs) or catching dollies at the FADS cause its easier to do- suggest you start ringing around and see what they say about targetting macks  Was up on the Goldie for two weeks and watched charter passangers getting very peeved as my son and I caught spottie after spottie right under the noses of 5 charter boats and the crew from 4 out of 5 of those boats made no attempt to change tactics to get their clients onto fish. If you are going try to target the week before the full moon-trust me on that one as they say in the classics!

• Like 1

Yes so I found at Port Macquarie; out on a charter and asked the deckie if they chased mackerel in season. Big no on that but they do chase jewies on the full moon each month. Seem to get a few looking at their pictures so that is something I'm going to try.

I may take the boat up to Coffs anyway and give it try; always in with a chance dragging some lures around.

Edited by Jiggy

Have not done it but I believe you should go now I was at yamba on a surfing trip years ago (xmas holidays) watched a bloke fishing for tailor of the rocks catch a decent spanish only to lose it to a wave surge at his feet. Totally gutted we watched the fight for what seemed like 30 mins. 

Was at Byron Bay 2 weeks ago and popped into the local fish monger to see what has been biting. Said the local pro fisherman had used up their quota with 2 months left on yellow fin and mahi mahi so the fishing should be good down further with the warmer water pushing down. Give the local fish co op a call and ask if any of the commercial guys are taking anyone out, I’ve done that a few times and is better than going on any charter 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wcurrall said:

Was at Byron Bay 2 weeks ago and popped into the local fish monger to see what has been biting. Said the local pro fisherman had used up their quota with 2 months left on yellow fin and mahi mahi so the fishing should be good down further with the warmer water pushing down. Give the local fish co op a call and ask if any of the commercial guys are taking anyone out, I’ve done that a few times and is better than going on any charter 

Plenty of spotties on the Gold Coast, a few Spannies coming on now too, not sure on the legailities of fishing on a pro boat as an unlicensed or paying customer but there have been plenty of cases of folk copping very hefty fines for "helping"a pro fisho in the past-id be very careful with that one

19 hours ago, Jiggy said:

Yes so I found at Port Macquarie; out on a charter and asked the deckie if they chased mackerel in season. Big no on that but they do chase jewies on the full moon each month. Seem to get a few looking at their pictures so that is something I'm going to try.

I may take the boat up to Coffs anyway and give it try; always in with a chance dragging some lures around.

The fishing in general around Coffs is excellent in autumn-its worth taking the boat-if you are after your fist mackeral though lures are pretty ineffective in my experience-livies and trolled dead baits-bigger the better- are far more effective, most of the close in reefs should be firing and bait in general is easy to get round Coffs-just dont waste tank space with yakkas.If you want to troll lures then the islands will hold wahoo and small yellowfin and a crap load of mack tuna mixed in with longtails- but make the effort to troll livies especailly on a downrigger

On 1/29/2020 at 4:47 PM, Jiggy said:

March, April around Scotts Head don't have to go out far