Anyone been out to try the FADS 2020

GoingFishing

I was out yesterday, the water is warm and there were smallish dollies around.  There were a large number of boats (especially for a weekday).  I am not one who likes to complain, but the experience could have been a lot more enjoyable (and a lot more productive) for everyone had people followed a few common sense rules i.e. 

1. Please do not drive up-current of the FAD and hold your boat  10 to 20 meters in front of it by leaving the engine in gear.  This approach (a) prevents others from getting a chance to fish areas close to the FAD where the fish are holding and (b) makes it harder to get a bite (in my experience, the fish hate boat noise).  By driving a good distance (e.g. 150 m) up-current of the FAD, cutting your motor and drifting past, the fish are not scared and everyone can have a turn at getting their bait, lure or fly where the fish are holding (rather than one or two boats effectively hogging the FAD). 

2. Please do not drive at speed around the FAD, which both scares fish and rocks other boats who are fishing etc. 

3.  Please do not hit the FAD.  Remarkably, I saw at least three boats ran into the FAD yesterday (one seemed to get tangled for a bit).  The current is moving quite fast out there at the moment, and it is possible someone will dislodge a FAD doing this. 

Sorry to "mansplain" the above, but an inconsiderate few were unnecessarily making life difficult for everyone else yesterday.  With a bit of common sense, everyone can catch a fish and have a good time. 

Edited by Christb
  • Like 6

Good numbers of dolphin fish to your south ( Narooma, Bermi, Batemans) fish of 12-15kg are being caught daily. Unless you get to the fads first your chances of the bigger fish are greatly reduced.

These fish have had to come past Sydney so you should have bigger fish than we have.

Fished Port Hacking FAD on Thursday, see hookerbruce's report.  Dolphin fish where there but not in big numbers and shut down by 9ish, small live bait were the key.

Like Christb said I found the day almost spoilt by inconsiderate and foolish people.

It is so simple. Start 100-200m up current and drift past about casting distance from the fad continue past out of the way and then motor back up around the outside of the drifting boats. If everyone does this the fad works and everyone gets a fish.

On Thursday we had up to 15 boats trying to fish, with a charter boat holding on one side of the FAD, a 40-50ft game boat on the other side and numerous small boats trying to hold in the current, particularly with no one at the wheel. It was hectic at times and here's the thing, it doesn't seem to work, they definitely don't catch any more fish. They either use heavy sinkers to get baits down, which fish don't like or their baits where miles out the back in the current.

We found we had to start our drift, get a hookup, then motor out to the side to avoid the boats. I wasn't all that concerned when the fish shut down and we left.

Sorry for the rant but the FADS can be such a good fishery when everyone plays along.

Thanks 

Ash

• Thanks 1

I’ve been watching reports on the Port Stephens FAD and champing at the bit to get out there but reports are coming in thick and fast of dollies and marlin in much closer on the inshore reefs. Holidays coming up... guess we’re I’m going! 😉😎

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

I’ve been watching reports on the Port Stephens FAD and champing at the bit to get out there but reports are coming in thick and fast of dollies and marlin in much closer on the inshore reefs. Holidays coming up... guess we’re I’m going! 😉😎

Better get all those chores done for the missus quickly then Baz :whistling: 😁

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks all for your replies. I will be giving the FADS a try tomorrow....yes I know the weather is ugly but I am desperate and think some slow and steady approach will keep us safe and yellow

Keen!

Its blowing big time here on the coast.

Be safe 😀

Edited by kingie chaser

For those playing at home a sneaky little trick when drifting near the fad is to put your sea anchor out and cube with pilchard. You'd be surprised how quickly the fish will move in under your boat and sea anchor with the constant trail and you can just keep drifting away on your own away from the other boats

• Like 3

1 hour ago, New Signing said:

For those playing at home a sneaky little trick when drifting near the fad is to put your sea anchor out and cube with pilchard. You'd be surprised how quickly the fish will move in under your boat and sea anchor with the constant trail and you can just keep drifting away on your own away from the other boats

The problem then is the chute/rope can come into play as well but hey its great thinking, worth trying & it will get you away from the mob.

On the sea anchor if people don't have one but thinking about it Id get one that's at least double the size rating for your vessel, I got one that if for up to 21ft for my 13ft tinny & it only just does the job in 15-20knt winds. 

Great bit of gear for the price!!

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

The problem then is the chute/rope can come into play as well but hey its great thinking, worth trying & it will get you away from the mob.

On the sea anchor if people don't have one but thinking about it Id get one that's at least double the size rating for your vessel, I got one that if for up to 21ft for my 13ft tinny & it only just does the job in 15-20knt winds. 

Great bit of gear for the price!!

and run a trip rope on it. I've near found myself over the side a couple of times when fishing alone. Not so bad if you've got someone with you and can back up to it

29 minutes ago, New Signing said:

and run a trip rope on it. I've near found myself over the side a couple of times when fishing alone. Not so bad if you've got someone with you and can back up to it

Always, its the only way to bring it in!

Well not sure what you refer to a trip rope but I call it a retrieve line, same thing essentially.

Attached to the back & I set mine to just be only a little longer to the length of the sea anchor mail line which is at a set length.

Edited by kingie chaser

23 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Always, its the only way to bring it in!

Well not sure what you refer to a trip rope but I call it a retrieve line, same thing essentially.

Attached to the back & I set mine to just be only a little longer to the length of the sea anchor mail line which is at a set length.

Ive actually changed the way mine is set up after snapping one off in heavy seas recently. I now have two sewer rings which slip over the back bollards. The rope is then spliced into a 'Y' shape as we fish directly out the back of my boat. The main reason for that is it allows us to have two rods on the bottom midship and then a floater on each corner which has really shown great results on the reds in recent times

• Like 1