Late Report Bate Bay

campr

Took the boat out for a run last Wednesday as I hadn't been out for a while.  Disappointing results due to strong winds which made drift too fast.  Wanted to stock up on slimies from new artificial reef but couldn't hold on them long enough to get jigs to them.  Also poor results with bottom drift with only 2 flatties about 40cm and a good sized flounder among a lot of little spikies. Short attempt at squid resulted in 2 small ones.

Funny incident when I was flagged down by boat in trouble wanting a tow.  Fairly newby to boating said overheat alarm was sounding and I suggested lifting motor to check if he had picked up a plastic bag over intake.  Tried not to laugh when I saw he had left flushing ears on motor from last trip.  After removing flusher all was ok and he made his way home.  Gotta laugh.   Ron

• Like 3

Glad the motor didn't suffer any major damage, it would have been devastating for the poor guy.It would have been an expensive way to learn a lesion.

One of my mates made the same fatal mistake but the result was that he had to be towed back to the ramp and had to have the motor rebuilt which wasn't cheap.

We all make silly mistakes from time to time.Who hasn't forgot to put the bungs in ,in their eagerness to get out fishing.

Seems to happen when you had a break for a while and your a rusty.Wakes you up pretty quick.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rebel said:

Good laugh.

Don't laugh.  But I did at the moment. 

I went out one day, flushed the motor at the end of the day, ready for day two.

Idililong for about half an hour,  then bought the boat on a plane and the an alarm. 

Raised the motor thinking to find a plastic bag only to find my ear muffs attached. 

Removed ear muffs and happy days.

Can happen to anyone. 

Must admit that is one I have never done, done most of the stupid/forgetful things but not that one as the last thing I do before launching the boat is double check to see if bungs are in , and you would see the muffs on the motor, almost kissing them when checking bungs.

Frank

We've all done dumb things!

One time I was really struggling to push the boat into be the water. I couldn't work it out, didn't matter how hard I pushed I couldn't shift it. Got the guy next in line to help, he's putting his back into it, still nothing happening.

Then he asked "You don't have the safety straps still on do you?". 

Embarrassing.

• Like 2

I spent 5 hours waiting for the tide change at deepwater one night after hitting a otto bin 30 horse johno came off the transom and went for a dive hence the new motor has clamps,bolts and stainless cable