Out of "area" fish

wazatherfisherman

10 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

I caught a spangled emperor in Port Hacking near the Ballast Heap once. Same season (early 90s) I spotted a yellowfin tuna (estimated 40lb +) in South West Arm. I basically hand fed it pillies and yakkas from my 10ft punt but it wouldn’t take a bait with a hook in it.

Hi Baz  you'd be surprised how many of those Spangled Emperor I've seen caught in the Harbour, fight hard and taste great, at least 2 Raiders (Derek was one) caught them recently.

The Yellowfin would have been exciting to say the least! Pity it wouldn't take a bait, would have been even more memorable to fight one inside.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yowie said:

Funny how those bigger fish (including kingies and bream) can spot the hook in a bait, even if the hook is completely covered with bait.

Also caught a spangled emperor in Gunnamatta Bay a couple of  years back, not big but big enough to eat.

Hi Yowie wonder if it's the hook they spot or the line or both?

1 hour ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Baz  you'd be surprised how many of those Spangled Emperor I've seen caught in the Harbour, fight hard and taste great, at least 2 Raiders (Derek was one) caught them recently.

The Yellowfin would have been exciting to say the least! Pity it wouldn't take a bait, would have been even more memorable to fight one inside.

Yes, from memory, that emperor tasted alright. I think I’ve told the story of the fin in SWA before. I rowed the punt there from Dolans Bay, working with the tide and I’d anchored up to have some lunch and clean a few fish. A shadow came past at speed as o was cleaning a bream over the side and scared the bejeeseus out of me. When I realised what it was, I threw it pillies and yakkas to keep it around. I kept getting showered with water as it broke the surface. I only had a 4kg threadline outfit and I was trying to work out a strategy for what I’d do if I hooked up. I tied a milk bottle (can’t remember why I had one!) off on the anchor rope and was prepared to cut the rope and get towed around Port Hacking! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Yes, from memory, that emperor tasted alright. I think I’ve told the story of the fin in SWA before. I rowed the punt there from Dolans Bay, working with the tide and I’d anchored up to have some lunch and clean a few fish. A shadow came past at speed as o was cleaning a bream over the side and scared the bejeeseus out of me. When I realised what it was, I threw it pillies and yakkas to keep it around. I kept getting showered with water as it broke the surface. I only had a 4kg threadline outfit and I was trying to work out a strategy for what I’d do if I hooked up. I tied a milk bottle (can’t remember why I had one!) off on the anchor rope and was prepared to cut the rope and get towed around Port Hacking! 😂

Awesome story/experience- worth telling again anyway! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, New Signing said:

My mate got one about 6kg in the shoalhaven comp this weekend gone

Biggest ‘hoo I’ve seen was estimated over 85lb on 20lb line off Narooma in the early ‘90s. I traced it and before we could get the gaff in, it dived under the boat and the wire trace snapped on the keel. 🤬 I felt so sorry for the angler!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Probably the line, though I have noticed that the weight of the hook causes the bait to sink faster, and other sinking baits nearby sink at a slower rate, so the kingies and bream are wise to that.

Other times, I have dropped a bait in front of a kingie's nose and the silly bugger just opens his mouth and "you're on", a hook up with 5 feet of line out and an angry kingie trying to pull you out of the boat. 😆

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Waza, I remember days fishing The Banks where we had big yellowfin at the back of the boat taking cubes but wouldn't touch one with a hook in it. We even tried threading the leader through the cube with a bait needle, then tying the hook on and pulling it back into the cube so no hook whatsoever was visible. They still wouldn't touch it.

Finally got one to bite on a 6kg leader and I don't think I need to explain what happened next.

Clear water with a glossy leader reflects the sun and sticks out like the proverbial.

I recall someone producing a matt finished leader, but it wasn't popular and didn't stay in production long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Waza, I remember days fishing The Banks where we had big yellowfin at the back of the boat taking cubes but wouldn't touch one with a hook in it. We even tried threading the leader through the cube with a bait needle, then tying the hook on and pulling it back into the cube so no hook whatsoever was visible. They still wouldn't touch it.

Finally got one to bite on a 6kg leader and I don't think I need to explain what happened next.

Clear water with a glossy leader reflects the sun and sticks out like the proverbial.

I recall someone producing a matt finished leader, but it wasn't popular and didn't stay in production long.

Hi Pete one thing I learned a long time ago was that the dark coloured leader- especially Jinkai who made clear and dark- was a better trace line. For many years, a lot of the old brigade used to swear by using red for Tuna in particular as it was thought it was the first colour that disappeared in the water (before pink was available)- they truly have fantastic eyesight, but I often wondered if that was entirely true, then what did they see when you were using red feathers for them?

Ande Pink is still one of the world's most popular mono leaders and we used to sell a fair bit of Weiss Perlon in red. Some days the buggers just won't take anything with line or hook in it- aka Berleyguts and your experiences. Rickmarlin would be the best person to ask re old leader colours I'd say.

I pretty much used Tortue for most leaders most of the time until Jinkai came out.

• Like 4

After pro fishing rod nreel for yfin in the 80s  the dark jinkai was absolutely the better trace   also the longliner i worked on had a mixture when i started  but we weaned out the clear and went to darker blue traces     the better fish were always on the darker trace   sidenote   i only use blue coloured line in 15lb for baitfishing for reds   no trace   straight 15 to the hook   i use fairly small hooks compared to the norm so usually mouth or lip hook reds  the blue lines get more bites than clear or green and ive been testing this theory for 40 yrs   heaps of guys i take use green or clear  and the blue always gets more bites     red dissapears first  but once you get down 30  40 ft deep  you cant see blue    been a spearo all my life so i have checked

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

After pro fishing rod nreel for yfin in the 80s  the dark jinkai was absolutely the better trace   also the longliner i worked on had a mixture when i started  but we weaned out the clear and went to darker blue traces     the better fish were always on the darker trace   sidenote   i only use blue coloured line in 15lb for baitfishing for reds   no trace   straight 15 to the hook   i use fairly small hooks compared to the norm so usually mouth or lip hook reds  the blue lines get more bites than clear or green and ive been testing this theory for 40 yrs   heaps of guys i take use green or clear  and the blue always gets more bites     red dissapears first  but once you get down 30  40 ft deep  you cant see blue    been a spearo all my life so i have checked

Thanks Rick excellent information!