Dumbest mistake fishing.

Pickles

Encouraged by Scratchie’s “biggest fish ever”, I thought it might be faun to share our “dumbest mistake fishing”

I’ll start. I forgot to tell my fishing buddy  Adrian (no one else knows you here mate), that when you hold a tag end in your teeth to tighten the newly tied knot, not to jerk the mainline to tighten it. Result = hook through tongue.

I discovered this when his son tapped me and pointed to his dad who appeared to be sucking the line held between his left and right hand whilst mumbling Ob, Ob, hi.. glott huh ook icky i my ung”

I tried hard not to laugh at his discomfort.

• Like 3

I have done two pretty silly things, both involve fly fishing, I don't profess to be an expert, but I enjoy it, one time early in my learning career I hooked myself in the back of the head during a cast. Then another time I was fishing with my mate, using the same gear and he was catching plenty of fish, Mullet and Trevally, I was getting none at all, I decided to change flies and then realised I had no fly on, during one of my many bad back casts, I must have "whipped" it off!

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, noelm said:

I have done two pretty silly things, both involve fly fishing, I don't profess to be an expert, but I enjoy it, one time early in my learning career I hooked myself in the back of the head during a cast. Then another time I was fishing with my mate, using the same gear and he was catching plenty of fish, Mullet and Trevally, I was getting none at all, I decided to change flies and then realised I had no fly on, during one of my many bad back casts, I must have "whipped" it off!

I have a good friend who is a crazy fly fisher. He has 80% vision impaired in one eye. You guessed it!

• Like 2

A month ago I landed a nice flathead on the lake, netted him into my hobie. Put on lip grips but had trouble getting the hook out. Let go grips and removed hook. Flatty flips over the edge and swims off with my lip grips! Lost fish and expensive gear. Talk about stupid!

• Like 2

I always apply the “6P theory” to my fishing. So I haven’t really done any dumb things. Except for leave the rods in the car and realised when I stop to collect bait. To eager to get out there 🤣🤣

And was heading north one day for a full day fishing with my son and woodsy. My son left all our food and drinks at home! He had “one job”! 
We got over that quickly as we didn’t have time to eat! Managed over 100 snapper that day 🤔 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2