What size and type hook

Joeyd

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Don't need to use bands or bridle unless your doing higher speed trolling.

No need to over complicate things here James!

No I do it so more hook is exposed, you loose lots of yakkas by getting ripped off the hook. The bait can also live longer when bridled. I fish land-based or on a boat at anchor usually and I almost always bridle the yakkas unless im in a hurry to get one in the water

7 minutes ago, James Clain said:

No I do it so more hook is exposed, you loose lots of yakkas by getting ripped off the hook. The bait can also live longer when bridled. I fish land-based or on a boat at anchor usually and I almost always bridle the yakkas unless im in a hurry to get one in the water

Hey james where do you fish for kings?

26 minutes ago, James Clain said:

If I'm going to do it that way then I'd be using dacron leader material over the rubber band.

I guess it is old school to put the hook through the back of the head or through the beak these days

Edited by kingie chaser

2 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

If I'm going to do it that way then I'd be using dacron leader over the rubber band

I think i need to look at a pic of dacron leaders over rubber bands lol as an upholsterer i only use dacron on cushions lol

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

If I'm going to do it that way then I'd be using dacron leader material over the rubber band.

I guess it is old school to put the hook through the back of the head or through the beak these days

If you twist the rubber band the right way and uses a natural colour its fine, remember your attaching a metal hook that is very big. A small rubber band is not going to make a difference. Rubber band is stretchy so if the king misses the hook and grabs the yakka it is less likely to be ripped away from the bridle rig rather the rubber band will stretch and the king will come back at it again.

Edited by James Clain

ok-two dollars worth here-bridle rigging is a bit of a waste of time 99% of the time-its not that it doesnt work , its just that its not needed. Bridles serve two purposes- they keep big active baits alive longer when TROLLING- eg trolling a live bonito etc and when using circles- the main advantage served is that it keeps the hook clear of the bait when the fish is swallowing it allowing a clean hook up in the corner of the jaw- i only bother with bridles when billfishing-not fishing for kings. Rubber bands are a bloody no-no as far as im concerned when billfishing as they stretch and break - i always use a dacron loop. Circles require a bit of a knack to get good hook ups but for the average Joe can cause more dropped fish than not. Circles are hopeless when trolling or downrigging livies for kings - i always troll on full drag and look for the instant hookup, if i get a knock down without a clean hookup then i open the bail or freespool a couple of meters of line out to see if the fish will come back and then immediatley look to hook the fish on the bite. With bridles for kings you actually have to wait for the bait to be swallowed -end result is more wipeouts with big fish and more gut hooked small fish (bad news for C&R). When we are trolling a livie for marlin or switchbaiting then we use circles and hook all the fish in the corner of the jaw, we are fishing with the reel in freespool or a very light drag and allow the fish to turn away before increasing drag pressure (this is how circles work). BAck to your original question- a good choice is a stock standard 8/0 Livebait style hook- eg Hoolums or Gama livebaits, hook the livie through the nose NOT the back. Kings swallow head first and will often roll the hook over into the livies back if you hook it up there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1