Questions on catching kingfish land based

Gengar

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Possibly.

What is the leader you bought?

Bought the Shimano Tiagra Nylon Mono leader at 50lb (https://www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/productdetail.P-TIAGRA_NYLON_MONO_LEADER.html). If this is no good any recommendations?

It was about the thinest 50lb line that I could find around at 0.61mm. Also I started another tread looking for help to tie it. Its very hard to tie it snug so any advice greatly appreciated!

11 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Bought the Shimano Tiagra Nylon Mono leader at 50lb (https://www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/productdetail.P-TIAGRA_NYLON_MONO_LEADER.html). If this is no good any recommendations?

It was about the thinest 50lb line that I could find around at 0.61mm. Also I started another tread looking for help to tie it. Its very hard to tie it snug so any advice greatly appreciated!

Personally its not what I would use for this application.

I would use fluorocarbon, while it may not be as abrasion resistant as the one you bought it would be less visible.

Other members might have a different opinion but that's me!

7 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Personally its not what I would use for this application.

I would use fluorocarbon, while it may not be as abrasion resistant as the one you bought it would be less visible.

Other members might have a different opinion but that's me!

Mate what would you recommend? Any 100% flouro?

I was talking to a few fishos i saw and they were using 30lbs so maybe i was going a bit overboard with the 50lb.....maybe get a 30lb flouro?

18 minutes ago, Gengar said:

Mate what would you recommend? Any 100% flouro?

I was talking to a few fishos i saw and they were using 30lbs so maybe i was going a bit overboard with the 50lb.....maybe get a 30lb flouro?

Not nessacarily, totally depends on the size of the kings & the location.

Its a balancing act, while I think you should endeavour to fish as light as possible you will not always land the fish.

I have fluoro leaders ranging from 6lb to 120lb in increments.

They are all for different reasons & types of fishing.

There is not one solution that fits all.

You just have to think about where your fishing, do you need to up it because there is reef or structure the fish will try to get you on, if there is not you can tend to go lighter.

Eg, if there in not structure around you could very well catch a 1mtr King on 10lb braid & 15lb leader, if your able to slow it down & tire it out using the drag from the reel & the action of the rod, sometimes you wont stop it, thats fishing.

IF I am trying to target inshore kings I will have a couple of rods in the boat 20lb/30lb leader on one rod, the other I will have 30lb braid/50lb leader.

If I was offshore fishing for kings I would take my 50lb braid/70lb leader rig or even 80lb braid with 100lb leader.

Most larger reels I have came with 2 spools so if Im getting dusted I can up the line by changing spools as well.

The morel of the story is if you are getting dusted you need to be able to go up, will you get as many takes, maybe not.

Again that comes back to the balancing act!

Brands, I have many, Berkley vanish, Jenkai, some Japanese ones I cant read, Diawa.

I tend to buy gear when its on special but I am not brand specific.

Edited by kingie chaser

16 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Not nessacarily, totally depends on the size of the kings & the location.

Its a balancing act, while I think you should endeavour to fish as light as possible you will not always land the fish.

I have fluoro leaders ranging from 6lb to 120lb in increments.

They are all for different reasons & types of fishing.

There is not one solution that fits all.

You just have to think about where your fishing, do you need to up it because there is reef or structure the fish will try to get you on, if there is not you can tend to go lighter.

Eg, if there in not structure around you could very well catch a 1mtr King on 10lb braid & 15lb leader, if your able to slow it down & tire it out using the drag from the reel & the action of the rod, sometimes you wont stop it, thats fishing.

IF I am trying to target inshore kings I will have a couple of rods in the boat 20lb/30lb leader on one rod, the other I will have 30lb braid/50lb leader.

If I was offshore fishing for kings I would take my 50lb braid/70lb leader rig or even 80lb braid with 100lb leader.

Most larger reels I have came with 2 spools so if Im getting dusted I can up the line by changing spools as well.

The morel of the story is if you are getting dusted you need to be able to go up, will you get as many takes, maybe not.

Again that comes back to the balancing act!

Brands, I have many, Berkley vanish, Jenkai, some Japanese ones I cant read, Diawa.

I tend to buy gear when its on special but I am not brand specific.

All makes good sense! Maybe I will get a 30/40lb as each time I have had a big bite the line has broken so guess need to up the ante. Well the good news is that I am getting the bites so must be doing something right!

The leader you are using is perfectly ok-fluorocarbon is an excellent marketing excercise by line manufacturers. Even the longlining data that was originally done is pretty wonky. The so called visibility advantage is not there, slightly better abrasian resistance is offset by poor knot strength and by the lack of ""recovery"" once its put under strain. In short its a waste of money   https://activeanglingnz.com/2016/01/04/the-fluorocarbon-myth/

I use blackmagic flurocarbon or the tough trace. 50lb in the though trace for my heavy setup and 30lb for most of the other stuff. Also use copolymer 12lb for lighter metal spinning. Copolymer is clear, super stretchy and very very abrasion resistant.