The Peak at this time of the year...

anthman

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Long before we relied on electronic equipment, finding reef edges was simply a matter of drifting, getting snagged, catching Red Rockies obviously meant hard reef, then no snags, quality fish (a quick land mark taken) means the edge or rubble, now just save it on your GPS and go back and see how the reef runs, catching Sand Flathead is pretty conclusive it's just sand bottom, after a while, you can build up your own secret spots, and while drifting, check what your sounder reading looks like as you go over different terrain.

The old 3rd tree on the left over the house with the red roof trick 😄 I'm convinced we never fished the same area twice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Signing said:

The old 3rd tree on the left over the house with the red roof trick 😄 I'm convinced we never fished the same area twice

Yep, that's why I said, when drifting and you find the edges and reef mark it with the GPS, that said, all my Snapper fishing is still land marks, don't even put the sounder and GPS in the boat, I know the area that well.

I went to the Peak heaps of times in a 4.5metre quintrex Lazeabout with a 60hp engine with no probs if you pick your days.  I went from Botany Bay which is an advantage as afternoon NE winds are more in your back for run home.  If conditions deteriorate its ok to try a fast run home before it gets too bad, but once it gets nasty it is much safer and comfortable to slow down and put hull back in the water and take your time.  Doesn't hurt to put a lure or two out as well as you never know your luck.  Ron

• Like 1