New boat trailer

mowie1

After many  faithful years and miles the old trailer has finely succumbed the dreaded rust. I am looking at a Seatrail AL4.2M13R or Seatrail AL4.2M13. The only difference is one has rollers the other has skids. I have an aluminium boat on a roller trailer at the moment. Should i change from roll trailer or change to skid type or does it make any difference ????

5 minutes ago, mowie1 said:

After many  faithful years and miles the old trailer has finely succumbed the dreaded rust. I am looking at a Seatrail AL4.2M13R or Seatrail AL4.2M13. The only difference is one has rollers the other has skids. I have an aluminium boat on a roller trailer at the moment. Should i change from roll trailer or change to skid type or does it make any difference ????

Skids would be better for the boat. Rollers create pressure points whereas skids spread the weight more. This is important for a pressed tinny with a thin hull.

I've always had roller trailers on all my boats and have to admit each has given me grief to some point. Last week I pulled off virtually all the roller gear off my trailer and had it set up with skids, for a Haines signature 543. My setup is now far more straight forward to drive on and off the trailer. This is how most of the comercial guys have theirs set up for daily use.

• Like 1

I agree with JonD but only from observation I have a roller trailer at present no problems ( only 2 years old) and can drive on at wide angles. But a few sydney carters launch from my ramp and they have skids. I suppose its the KISS principle.