Ramsgate Beach 25 June 2020

LandBasedKeith

Intends to fish the last 2 days but suddenly the wind speed went up hence didn't get to go until today. Wake up early to pickup some weed but had to wait til 6:30am when there is enough light to see. Which means i miss out the possible early tailor session:( I could use my headlight to see but it may upset some people living nearby. I guess i just had to make a point to get the weed a day early.

Got to Ramsgate Beach at around 7:30am but had to first goes to Coles to buy some more toilet paper before the second wave of the panic-buy hit and not to mention Quilton 36pack is on special this week. So i didn't get to start actual fishing until almost 9am. I was hoping there is still some tailor wandering about but no such luck. Even with blackfish, nothing until half hour later. The float went down hard and i tried to strike but the bail arm won't locked properly. It was a complete disaster as the strike failed and i almost panic but luckily the hook set itself. But then the reel takes on drag as the fish feels REALLY HEAVY and i am losing line quick. I tried to tighten the drag to reduce the momentum but what a big mistake that was. I underestimate the power of my opponent and the line snapped! That could have been a 45cm+ blackfish. For the next 3 hours, there is a bite here and there but no hookup. There isn't much to do but to relaxed, snacking, enjoy the nice weather and the scenery.

IMG_4420.JPG.081899b61156f6be5357efe22fd70281.JPG

Here is something i spot on the surface of the water moving toward me. A patch of clam water among the waves. Does anyone had any idea of what it is?

Anyway, back to fishing.  I got a rod out with weed on paternoster rig. As i was winding it in, i feel something heavy. Wah-lah, what are the chance that i foul hooked a 45cm lizard while winding in my rod!? And i managed to landed it as well.

Since i had no luck with blackfish today, i decided to put my focus on flathead using a Squidgy Black n Gold soft lure. It doesn't take me long to hook my first flathead but lost it the last moment as i slacken the tension while grabbing the net. It took me another hour to hooked and landed another flathead, a 50cm. Though there are more flathead around the groyne (as another fisho caught a 45cm while i was packing), I had enough with flahead and wanted to give blackfish another try somewhere.else.

IMG_4422.JPG.17a869530ec08ebb235a0737384a384a.JPG

I tried the platform next to the groyne i was on, nothing except heaps of tiny minnow. Some duck liked birds is chasing the minnows but there is a group of seagull chasing these birds away as if they are protecting the minnow. Maybe protecting their food source?!

I tried Sans Souci Park Jetty next as i wanted to check out the cabbage weed mentioned by @eladamrine that are available/reachable during low tide. And since i am there, i give the blackfish a try. No luck as I keep losing the weed on my hooks but at the end, i managed to hooked a 15cm blackfish which i release of course.

While i am there, 2 full uniform fisheries officers are there checking everyone for their licenses and catches. This is the second time this year i encounter fisheries officer at this very location. As long as we are doing the right thing, there is nothing to worry about. 

IMG_4424.JPG.54fd95233a7c4512f479a5a335317a19.JPG

Its windy, it is freezing and it is getting dark. It just mean time to go home....well the good news is...the flatheads are back.

• Like 12

Awesome report @LandBasedKeith! Lovely flatheads! Excited to know there are flatheads around those groynes too! Might have to bring my soft lure rod next time I am on the groynes along with my blackfish set up! 

What do you think about the cabbage on the jetty in Sans Souci park? is it good weed? is it a good spot?

Where are you getting weed these days? Last time I checked Tonsbridge weed died out :(

Last time I went, a blackfish fishermen told me he buys his weed from a bait shop in Sylvania. That is my next option if I can't find any of the stringy weed! 

1 hour ago, eladamrine said:

Awesome report @LandBasedKeith! Lovely flatheads! Excited to know there are flatheads around those groynes too! Might have to bring my soft lure rod next time I am on the groynes along with my blackfish set up! 

What do you think about the cabbage on the jetty in Sans Souci park? is it good weed? is it a good spot?

Where are you getting weed these days? Last time I checked Tonsbridge weed died out :(

Last time I went, a blackfish fishermen told me he buys his weed from a bait shop in Sylvania. That is my next option if I can't find any of the stringy weed! 

3 hours ago, campr said:

I have caught a few flatties on weed many years ago in Patonga creak.  They hit the retrieved weed as it looks like a little fish swimming.  Ron

Now you mentioned it, that could have been a flathead that snapped my line. Cheers.

1 hour ago, eladamrine said:

Definitely good weed at the jetty but they won't last as they are too easily accessible to the blackfish and now to us. LOL.

I also run around a bit looking for weed now-a-day especially during winter. Collect a large batch and they should last you a week. I found stringy weed is easier to keep than cabbage weed. But then fresh one is always better than staled one, that is probably what help you out-fish the person standing next to you.

Maroubra Beach (Google map "-33.957066, 151.263816"). Mainly cabbage weed and almost always available. Sometime stringy weed can also be found. This is where people do blackfish(Rock) fishing but proper shoe and life jacket is a must. Park your car at Maroubra beach ("-33.951744, 151.255372"), take the track at Malabar Headland National Park. Somewhere pass half way at around ("-33.955413, 151.261483") where you can climb down.

Little Bay at the rock("-33.979026, 151.251141") directly underneath the Golf course. Go down the beach, and walk along the cliff to your left. The only risk is getting your feet wet during high tide when picking the stringy weed off the rock at the bottom of the cliff.

There are always some small cabbages on the rocks or groynes, they are just good.

There is this fisho i met at the groynes over a year  or two ago, he always bring with him a large bag of stringy weed. I got most of my weed location from him but not all i am sure as i can never find the same weed he got! Because every time he bring with him not only fresh weed but up to 3 different variety of the stringy weed. Can't out-fish him unless we are using his weed which he is happy to share.

• Like 1

Keith,

A bad move by beginners is to tighten the drag when a fish takes off. NO,NO,NO, don't do it.

If you need to apply a bit of extra drag, place a finger on the spool to apply a bit of extra pressure. Don't jam your finger on hard, that will be the same as locking up the drag. Using your finger will apply a little bit of pressure, however, if the fish takes off really fast, it is easy to lift your finger from the spool so you don't bust the line.

Once you become more experienced, you can add a little bit of extra drag by turning the drag knob on the spool when the fish is running. Only need to turn the knob a few degrees to change the pressure, not half a turn which may double the pressure on the line.

Good luck.

26 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Keith,

A bad move by beginners is to tighten the drag when a fish takes off. NO,NO,NO, don't do it.

If you need to apply a bit of extra drag, place a finger on the spool to apply a bit of extra pressure. Don't jam your finger on hard, that will be the same as locking up the drag. Using your finger will apply a little bit of pressure, however, if the fish takes off really fast, it is easy to lift your finger from the spool so you don't bust the line.

Once you become more experienced, you can add a little bit of extra drag by turning the drag knob on the spool when the fish is running. Only need to turn the knob a few degrees to change the pressure, not half a turn which may double the pressure on the line.

Good luck.

Thanks. I panic:( That reminded me one time, my reel took off like no tomorrow and i only apply enough drag so it won't break the line(25lbs) and at the end, i ran out of line... every time is a learning experience.

4 hours ago, LandBasedKeith said:

Thanks. I panic:( That reminded me one time, my reel took off like no tomorrow and i only apply enough drag so it won't break the line(25lbs) and at the end, i ran out of line... every time is a learning experience.

25 lb line needs a fair bit of drag to break it. Fishing for blackfish, you would probably be using 6 or 8 lb line, no more than 10 lb. These lines are where you need to be careful with the drag.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

25 lb line needs a fair bit of drag to break it. Fishing for blackfish, you would probably be using 6 or 8 lb line, no more than 10 lb. These lines are where you need to be careful with the drag.

No.no. that time i was fishing for kingies with the 25lbs line over at Port Kembla. Actually it was 35lbs line but i doubt that though as i bought it cheap online. 

With blackfish, i use 8lbs flurocarbon leader max and up to 15lbs as main. I did managed to pull in a 45cm lizard with this outfit. I still wonder what snapped my line... always the one that got away:)

9 hours ago, LandBasedKeith said:

No.no. that time i was fishing for kingies with the 25lbs line over at Port Kembla. Actually it was 35lbs line but i doubt that though as i bought it cheap online. 

With blackfish, i use 8lbs flurocarbon leader max and up to 15lbs as main. I did managed to pull in a 45cm lizard with this outfit. I still wonder what snapped my line... always the one that got away:)

If you are using 15 lb main line and 8 lb leader, you are effectively fishing with 8lb line, as the lightest line is your actual breaking strain, that being 8 lb.

Keep at it and you will become experienced in no time at all. 🙂