Bimini Twist

fishii

Hi All 

Got cut off on the rocks when I was lure fishing  for pelagics . Just wanted to know if any one has tried using a bimini twist to a swivel to the lure 

Or is it better to just have a heavier leader line 

Thanks

So what got cut? leader or main line? Braid doesnt like abrasion much, flouro is probably better than mono for abrasion but doestnt withstand shock as much as mono and becomes brittle with use-IMHO its a waste of money, first kety of reducing tackle loss around the rocks is good line control.

I always tie a bimini in my braid then use a double uni knot to the mono leader. The bimini is a 100% knot (even in braid) and this greatly increases the strength of your braid to mono knot too. Just make sure you use at least 40 turns in the bimini when using braid.

That said I am not sure of the basis of your question as you said you are already using a braid to mono connection. Most people are aware that braid cuts easily. So that leaves using a heavier mono leader. Too heavy can have drawbacks such as bulky knots, impaired lure action, putting fish off. It would help if you gave some more details. And by swivel do you mean snap swivel? 

Edited by kingfishbig

I use the pr knot which is stronger than the fg and never once let me down in the last 5 years. I have seen many fg knots fail from both tournament anglers and offshore game fishers. My daughter cast off a $200 never to be seen again on one of the recent yellowfin trips when the fg simply came undone. Still use the bimini over an fg myself having seen a few of the experts having theirs fail (heavily sponsored anglers).

13 hours ago, JonD said:

I use the pr knot which is stronger than the fg and never once let me down in the last 5 years. I have seen many fg knots fail from both tournament anglers and offshore game fishers. My daughter cast off a $200 never to be seen again on one of the recent yellowfin trips when the fg simply came undone. Still use the bimini over an fg myself having seen a few of the experts having theirs fail (heavily sponsored anglers).

Granted I don't use heavy leaders, but in leaders from 4 to 60lb, I have never had an FG fail. 

@JonDPersonally I believe a lot of people put too many wraps in an FG. For it to work correctly all the wraps must bite hard into the leader. If the wraps at the top of the knot don't bite in, the knot will loosen over time running through the guides.

Example, in PE1.5 I only use 8 wraps on 15 or 20lb leaders, where I often hear of people using 20 or more.

Edited by Green Hornet
Info added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I reckon forget the bimini and take the time to learn how to tie a good FG knot.

No need for doubles with a FG and just as strong, without 2 sets of knots clunking through the guides.

ive got to disagree with you here- Rod Harrison the fishing writer wrote a series of articles back in the 90's when braid use became more widespread and the massive advantage that a bimini gave in a braid/mono leader was that the bimini provided a shock absorber to the whole system, he regarded it as being essential and the article was backed up with data from a series of tensile tests. The best kingie fisho i know (who also happens to be a well known Sydney guide) uses bimini/improved albright both charters and his own fishing , fast to tie and they dont fail.

3 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

ive got to disagree with you here- Rod Harrison the fishing writer wrote a series of articles back in the 90's when braid use became more widespread and the massive advantage that a bimini gave in a braid/mono leader was that the bimini provided a shock absorber to the whole system, he regarded it as being essential and the article was backed up with data from a series of tensile tests. The best kingie fisho i know (who also happens to be a well known Sydney guide) uses bimini/improved albright both charters and his own fishing , fast to tie and they dont fail.

If you read the OP's post he is not talking about running a double to a leader, just a double straight to the swivel/lure.

That's why I recommended a leader.

6 hours ago, JonD said:

IMG_1732.JPG.72f4bad97ef0db4172b90e415671292b.JPG

Funny, I googled the PR knot today, had a look at a comparison with the FG and their result was the opposite.

What I drew from this is they're both good, the important thing is to make sure you tie them correctly to get maximum strength.

• Like 1

You have to love real personal world testing over some internet sourced graph or data right?

I know @JonD would be fishing some of the biggest fish out there & I have total respect but at the end of the day isnt it about the perfection in the knot tying that we need to be talking about?

I am a FG convert for a while now, bought the knot assistant 2.0 to help me get it perfected.

At the end of the day I have never had a knot failure, either the braid breaks at some point or the leader.

Whether one is 4% better over the other means nothing if you don't tie it correctly!!!

• Like 2