New trailer advice please?

nadsinator

Gday raiders. My 14yr old single axle gal roller trailer is on the verge of collapse from rust so its now time for a new one. My boat is a 5.5m fiberglass cuddycab with 115hp fs and i tow with a standard family car. I think boat size/weight wise i could probably move up to a dual axle trailer as an option. But i’d like your thoughts for pros/cons first - has anyone had similar situation? Also, what are your recommendations for a new trailer. Im based in the shire. Thanks crew!

That would depend on the total weight of the combo. If you think you can get the combo well under 1600 kg including Trailer fuel and anything else you normally will have in the boat go single axle aluminium I beam trailer. I would go bunks, torsion axle with slides as they tow much better than rollers and less maintenance. Dearer to start with but much cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was in similar situation a couple of years ago.  Have a 5.6m Quintrex with a 90hp which was on a dual axle trailer but replaced with a single axle.  Dont know if I can make recommendations on site.  I'm also in Shire,  message me and we can discuss.  Ron

I love a good dual axle trailer i must say. IMO they tow so much better and just sit flat on those bumpy roads. I tow alot to the south coast and notice a massive difference with dual vs single. Remember you will have to factor weight also with the family car.

I also need a new trailer, I recently bought a 2nd hand boat, the trailer looked alright until I took it in to get the brakes done and was told that it has at best 1 year left. I blew the budget on the boat so I am strapped any tips or recommendation on who in Sydney (I am in the Shire too but will travel for a good deal) can help me out with a reasonable trailer that will last at least another 5-7 years. 

Thanks in advance 

I know of an all Australian company which can manufacture aluminium or galvanised ,trailers and could possibly repair boat trailers depending on the structural integrity. Please PM me for details. If this is allowed in the site rules. Located Western Sydney.