soft plastics spinning on the drop

Berrero

Hey raiders,

One small thing I've started doing as of late is after rigging a soft plastic just checking out how it performs on the drop before casting it out to ensure that it falls properly and naturally.

My go-to are paddle tails but throw the occasional curltail grub and one thing I've noticed is that practically all of my grubs seem to drop in a spiral. I just wanted to check if this was just due to the nature of the corkscrew tail or if I should be going back and try rigging it again? I tried a few times on my last trip to rerig them but it seemed to always have a slight spiral on the way down. Is this something I should be working on trying to improve or is it just part of using grubs. 

I usually use 1/16-1/12 jigheads, could the low weighted jigheads be causing it / making it worse?

Thanks

From my experience they will spin in circles if dropped. By keeping in contact with the lure on the way down (tight line) it then behaves like a pendulum and can only swim in one direction.

• Like 2

What you'll find is if you drop them over the side on a loose line they'll spiral unless rigged absolutely perfect.

When cast out, the drag from the line through the water puts just enough tension on the jighead to stop it spiralling.

I still can't stress enough, it is vital to rig the plastic as straight as possible.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

What you'll find is if you drop them over the side on a loose line they'll spiral unless rigged absolutely perfect.

When cast out, the drag from the line through the water puts just enough tension on the jighead to stop it spiralling.

I still can't stress enough, it is vital to rig the plastic as straight as possible.

I'm usually a perfectionist when it comes to rigging plastics straight - even if it takes half a dozen times to get it right.

just wanted to check because I was pulling my hair out swearing I had the grub as straight as I could and was still spinning

Is spiraling on the drop down necessarily bad??  Don’t most dying fish spiral down anyway - so this is mimicking natural behavior ?

just asking as I am not an SP expert by any scale. 
cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

From my experience they will spin in circles if dropped. By keeping in contact with the lure on the way down (tight line) it then behaves like a pendulum and can only swim in one direction.

Derek nailed it 👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

I noticed the other day I was forward casting a lot with a paddle tale to get to the depth in the drift & I was catching the tail in the hook on occasions.

So yes I had a lot of slack line & probably a large hook size to jighead which caused this.

Imo even with slack line if your plastic isnt rigged straight on its going to react differently every time.

I have also noticed with some of these newer soft plastics now being so dam soft they are a PITA to push forward square into the jighead past the grabby things(whatever they are called 🙄) they are hard to keep perfectly aligned.

19 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

barbs ?

No mate, talking about the alloy ribs that keep the plastic on..........................hang on they might be actually be called keepers 🤣

mental blank 🙄

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Haha 1