Casting a wooden reel

Greg Foster

Hi all

A stupid question 
I have this wooden reel that looks like an alvey 

you can’t turn it sideways to cast like an alvey

do I just click the ratchet off,hold the line against the rod and cast gently letting go of the line to use the momentum 

I have tried you tube but no luck

thanks

greg 

Practise casting the centrepin and you should get pretty good at it. 

I recently was taught how to cast "off the reel" where you get the float swing it to the back and let go of the spool letting the momentum gain and then swing in the direction you want to cast.

Theres different casts you can do such as "the wallis cast" as far as I know there are around three or four ways to cast a centrepin correctly and accurately.

Hope this helps sort of 

Cheers, JamoDamo

Edited by JamoDamo
  • Like 1

Hi jamo 

well I figured centre pins are very English 

the Wallis cast looks as challenging as changing gears in a truck 😱

my rod is getting restored so when I get it back I will start practicing 

might leave it as a ludrick set up

I inherited this from my father in law when he passed on

its a doosey ,still set up for luderick when he last used it in 2007

it needs a clean up and new hooks before I use it

i originally thought it was a side cast but then realised it was centre pin

image.jpg

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I thought the 475a had a sidecast function.

If you take a few more pictures of the rod, like binding and pattern in the blank I might be able to tell you what it is. I'm thinking it maybe Slazenger.

The side cast action had been removed on the reel I think ? so the father in law cast it on a free spin so to speak

i remember he always took it every day luderick fishing ,he had his favourite rock he went to fish on ,catch a few fish and come home

he was a bit of a bowerbird collecting fishing stuff left behind by disgruntled fishing people and thrown out ,so the shed had a few rod and reel combos that are not worth keeping 

I kept his ludrick combo ,wooden centre pin and the modified Alvey 35 reel and a new Jarvis walker rod still n the cover from the 1970 or 80,s This would look nice with a new Alvey egg beater (they look so cool) 😁

i will take a shot of the rods sometime today and post a photo

Hi Greg,

Definately not a Slazenger, more likely and better Snyder Glas or Butterworth. Those vertical flecks, I'm leaning towards Snyder. Looks like it's had a hard life, but well worth restoring. If you want the name of a great rod builder on the Central Coast send me a PM.

The JW Mundoo was the first rod I bought for myself in the early 80's for $16 at Norman Ross in Chatswood. It was their 'General Purpose' rod. Top section is solid glass, but I think the bottom was hollow. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ryder 

I don’t think the mundoo has ever been used it was in the rafters covered in dust

i was tempted to replace the runners myself but I don’t want to stuff it up

my mate at Woy Woy is doing a 3 piece up for me but he doesn’t rush soi may not see the results for 6 months or more
I will drop you a message and get your mates name 

my better half thinks I waist-to much but it would be a nice Christmas present to my self to get the blank back to new