Sinker size beach fishing

TheMatt123

Guys, new to beach / surf fishing and the sinker sizes seem huge compared to my past estuary fishing - say on a low to normal swell, not much current, what would be the normal sinker size and style without being too heavy. Or is it all about casting distance? 

1 hour ago, TheMatt123 said:

Guys, new to beach / surf fishing and the sinker sizes seem huge compared to my past estuary fishing - say on a low to normal swell, not much current, what would be the normal sinker size and style without being too heavy. Or is it all about casting distance? 

Imo there is no one answer except to say enough weight to create a senario where your not getting swept away by the current conditions & being able to reach the gutter when casting which will depend on location.

The action of the rod your using will also determine your casting distance to weight ratio as well.

A lot of people think you have to cast a million miles from the beach to find the fish but the gutters are usually quite close.

Could be a different story if your aiming for large schools of salmon that are out a bit further so again it depends on what your targeting.

Generally I just use star sinkers of different sized woth a clip or loop on the bottom of my rig & just play with the sizing so you need to carry varying weights.

If I find need to do particularly long casts I also carry some of those premade long cast rigs like the Black magic longreach surfcasting rig. 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

Good advice from the two answers above.

It all really comes down to your outfit, conditions and target species. Bream, whiting and flathead will generally be feeding just at the back of the shorebreak, so often only a 10 or 15m cast is necessary, even shorter some days. Only a light sinker is needed to achieve the distance, however if there is a side sweep along the beach, you might need to up your weight a little to compensate. That being said, a little bit of movement of your bait along the gutter or hole can be a good thing to help prospect and find fish. Walk along with the current to stop your bait being washed up onto the dry sand.

Think too about sinker styles. Obviously a ball sinker is going to be affected by sweep more than a star or bean sinker.

For salmon and tailor you're often going to need a heavier sinker to get out wider where often found schooling at the back of a gutter. If you find you can't get the distance required to reach the school, consider swapping over to a metal lure. You'll find a lure will cast a hell of a lot further as it more aerodynamic than a sinker and hunk of bait.

Find out your rods recommended cast weight and carry a range of weights up to its maximum. Generally I like ball or bean sinkers in the lighter weights and stars when you're getting up over 30-45 grams.

• Like 2