Tips for new boating, wanting to chase after pelagics eventually

FrigateMack

I sort of got tired waiting for the kings to come to me (northern beaches, off the rocks). I can get salmon (aka bait stealers) nearly every time, tailor pretty reliable when in season, and yakkas 100% reliably all the time. But kings and other really good fish are rare for me. Like once a month. So I pulled the trigger on a 3.3m True Kit. It's an inflatable cat and I've got a 5hp outboard coming in as well. The plan is to take it slow, get the licence, set up a sounder, putter around in the Pittwater / Hawkesburry, etc, at first. But, the end goal is to eventually venture out, maybe a few km, or whatever the safe limit is. Given that I see people on SUPs and kayaks paddling along often, I am hoping I won't die, lol. Just want to make sure the motor is reliable and I can read the conditions. Anyway, are there any tips / tricks / books to read / etc? The big goals to figure out decent snapper, kings and maybe tuna? What do you think are the limits of a little inflatable cat. Maybe I'm crazy..

• Like 1

Having owned an inflatable for the last couple of years my biggest concern was always keeping braid away from the tubes. Not to much of a problem untill sharks get hold of your kings or you get tuna circling under the boat.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:52 PM, FrigateMack said:

What do you think are the limits of a little inflatable cat. Maybe I'm crazy..

Yes I think so but hey its not my life.

Heading out a few Km with a 5hp inflatable boat 🙄

This topic has sort of been discussed before-

In saying that from what I undersand as long as you have all the safety equipment required for being in open water then there is nothing stopping you.

I'd be sticking to inclosed waters myself 🤐

5 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I think these guys are ganna need a bigger boat 

What are they, 150mtrs off shore?

I have to stop watching these vids on youtube, I'll phsyc myself out just getting out in the tiny in Botany bay 😂

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to answer my own question - I've worked out the limit for my inflatable cat is wind under 20km/h and swell under 1m. Those are pretty rare conditions around Sydney. Plus, the risk of conditions changing means I need to stay pretty close to the departure point, even on glassed out days like that. No worries.

PS. All safety rules as per the boating handbook will be followed. And then some.