Beach main and leader lb

TheMatt123

10-12lb main line & matching leader is what I would be using for what your targets are.

You could go lighter to say 8lb but if you get ont some decent salmon you could struggle.

I use 12lb main line for my light beach rod & then use lighter or heavier leader dependin gon the situation/target.

Im also lucky that my light beach reel came with a spare spool so it gives you more options on line class & if you want to run braid as well.

They should all come with a spare spool imo.

Edited by kingie chaser

Hi,

I do a lot of beach fishing.

I use the following a 13ft Wilson rod ( 1pce )  15lb mono with 20 lb fluro carbon leader. No. 7 or 8 ball sinker or a 2 or 4 star sinker depending on the surf.

Works for me.

Cheers.

You have to experiment.

9lb Mono and 12lb leader would be ok fof Whiting, Bream etc. Use a NO.1 or 2  long red hook and beach worms.

The heavier gear is for Salmon and Tailor and you have to use ganged hooks for results. You can us single circle hooks.

Don't forget Tailor love metal lures.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel

Hey mate,

Last summer I got away with using 20lb mono and 20lb leader for most of my bait use having no trouble hooking whiting, bream, tailor and the odd salmon around Sydney. As long as your bait is presented correctly you shouldn't have too many issues going heavier.

On some days I would go down to a 10-12lb leader if I was struggling to get any hits which would help.

1 hour ago, TheMatt123 said:

At this point i feel like I need the extra lb to cast enough sinker to get me out there, haf some line snaps when I went heavier.

Bream & whiting are in close so you don't have to cast far.

The main area of beach fishing with these species are in the gutters, again that isn't far from the shore usually.

Have a search around the site via the search tab.

Plenty of the same discussions have been had so worth looking at.

As Noel said, work out what it is you want to target & that will determine your outfit.

If you want to catch 4kg+ salmon out the back then up your line & sinker.

Want to catch bream & whiting then lighter & closer is better.

Want to target 20kg Jew then..............????

Edited by kingie chaser

As I said you have to experiment.

Have a look at YouTube. Alex Bellissimo. Fishing for whiting off the beach. Also Bream fishing. Listen to what they use as far as rigs on the beach. That might help you.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel