I'm Buying A Poly!

wakd

Well folks, after missing out on non-boater spots at the last two socials, I thought stuff it, I'm buying a boat. Thats not actually my only reasoning for getting a boat, but it sounds good! Anyway, the order went through today for a white Polycraft 4.1m Challenger side console w/ Suzuki 50hp 4-stroke. WOOHOO! Will be throwing a Minn Kota on the front, and a seat mount on the front casting deck. Should be here in 4 weeks or so - if you want to help me out, go order one yourself, I'm getting a very good deal on the freight, because it won't come down until there is a full truckload, so the more Polys ordered for Sydney the quicker I'll get it!

There is a "bait box" in the stern, and talking to the dealer he said it would be easy to fit an aerator in there, so I could fill it with seawater and aerate it, however is this good enough for bream comps? Or do I need a fully plumbed livewell? Because that will be a much bigger job (ie $$$) to fit a pump/sprayer in there.

Unfortunately, I don;t think it will be ready for the Georges SP day, but should be right for the next one (is there a venue for that yet?).

Wakd.

G'day Wakd,

congrats on your purchase you will be a happy man.

I have the blue tiller steer model challenger you might have seen on here.

Reguarding the livewell, i plumbed one of the front 90L tanks its plenty big for 10 bream to swim around, ive even kept a salmon in their too see how long it would last, 3hrs later he was still swimming fine.

I did not fit a seat at the front as there is no need, they are pretty stable at rest and the seat just gets in the way,, unless you prefer sitting down then thats fine too.

I bet your hangin to get it home i know the feeling. :ohyeh:

Good Luck.

Stevo :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

Yep, I've seen pics of yours Steveo. Thanks for the advice, I was thinking getting a casting deck seat would make it easier to drive the electric foot control while casting, but it was going to require some messing around to install it, so maybe I'll rethink - I'm used to land based fishing on my feet, when I do occassionally fish sitting down it feels weird. Was it a big job to plumb the livewell up the front? I spose I could do that and use the other side for the deep cycle battery/PFDs. Polycraft are putting in the extra seat (passenger next to console), and shortening one of the bow rails to make space for the electric, everything else is going to be done by the dealer and me in Sydney, so I can do a better assessment of my options when it gets down here.

Wakd.

Congratulations Wakd,

To say I am jealous would be the understatement of this year :ohyeh:

I have basically settled on a Poly myself, but must get a new car first before I commit to the purchase. That said, I am stinging to get the order in especially considering the 4 week wait I now know to expect.

Out of interest, who did you purchase the boat from and how good was the deal?? PM me if required as I would like to hear more regarding your dealer experience.

Enterprise marine have not even sent me a quote yet, depite my enquiry at the boat show and subsequent follow-up.

Cheers,

Byron

Thats one of the great things about Polycraft - apparently it only takes 3 hours for them to mould a hull. The four week wait is basically because I'm waiting for a full shipment of them so I can save $ on the freight. I could pay a couple of hundred more and have it delivered sooner if I wanted to. You don't get anywhere near that type of turnaround on ally or glass hulls...

Wak'd

Its not hard to plumb the front livewell, the middle floor on the poly lifts out so you get some access to run hoses etc. Once you get it sus it out and you will know if you can do it or not.. polycraft factory can plumb the livewell for you at a cost also but i chose to do everything myself.

I use the front left bin as the livewell and the right for pfd's and storage.

The rear left tank is use for clothing and the days drinks etc makes a great esky too :beer: I also extended the front deck but you can do that in the open boat much easier.

If your putting a minn kota on the front you wont need a seat, anyone can use them and you will find yourself standing all the time anyway. Im pretty sure the battery's go under the drivers and passengers seat, better off speaking to DaveW as he has the side console version.

Stevo :grogon:

Congrats on getting a new boat Wakd :D

This question may be a bit off the new boat topic but can you guys out there who own Ploycraft boats answer this for me.

Do soft plastic baits react when they come into contact with Polycraft material & start eating into it the way they do with some tackle boxes & the like ?

Only 672 hours to go....tick......tock......tick......tock......tick......tock......

tick......tock......tick......tock......tick......tock......tick......tock......tick......

tock......tick......tock......tick......tock......

Oh well, I can spend the time finding out what's a good sounder/GPS to buy for it...suggestions?

And what size electric / battery capacity....

I am clueless on those subjects, thank goodness for the internet and fishraider eh? Clueless newbie + the internet + coupla weeks = expert

Wakd.

Wakd try navman and Hummingbird for GPS and sounders. Also depends if you want a combined sounder/gps unit, colour or black n white and are you going to have a sounder near your leccy so you can see the fishies under you!!!!

As for your leccy it depends how much you want to spend. Minn Kota or Motorguide. Minn Kota has the autopilot on the riptide but they can run out at around $1500 unless someone here knows of a place that does a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...
the polys are becoming a VERY popular boat....starting to see more and more of them on the water!! Congrats!!

aye - but not in the trading post at all!

Do they hold their value on a par with aluminium boats?