drag setting for beach fishing rod holders

HenryNSW

Hi all, 

I fished yesterday with Gang hook pilchard for maybe some australian salmon/tailor. 

I put the rod in rod holder 45 degree angle.  I had almost a dozen bites where the fish just bite the pilchard in half head first,  but I didn't land any fish, in fact most were gone by the time I reach for my rod.  I left coz I ran out of baits... :(

Should I have set the drag tighter or have no drag and just let fish run with the bait before I set the hook?  I have 40LB braid, and 40LB flurocarbon leader

sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search for 'drag' but had too many off-topic results. 

Thanks in advance

Henry 

I run 7lb but I also use some pretty good rod holders, I then tighten up from there is I need to. I used to mostly use yakkas around Sydney beaches as they hold very well on the hooks and jews seemed to like them, as did most fish.

• Like 1

I never beach fish with a rod holder, but then, I only fish for Whiting and Tailor, so it's either action or nothing, sitting around with the rod in a holder is not my idea of fun. 6/0 hooks are pretty big, I prefer a gang of about 1/0s so Bream and the like will still be caught.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noelm said:

I never beach fish with a rod holder, but then, I only fish for Whiting and Tailor, so it's either action or nothing, sitting around with the rod in a holder is not my idea of fun. 6/0 hooks are pretty big, I prefer a gang of about 1/0s so Bream and the like will still be caught.

Totally agree but it depends on what size fish your tyring to catch imo.

6/0's are way oversized for even large salmon or jew but then smaller fish will struggle to get near it.

Its similar to bait size, larger baits generally are for larger fish so if your going that big allround then expect to catch less unless the fish size matches the hatch.

Cant say I would actually own any 6/0 gang hooks, most common size I have is between 1/0 & 3/0.

Edited by kingie chaser

I have no problem hooking salmon on 10/0 hooks, personally I like plenty of hook sticking out from a bait while fishing from the shore (mostly after dark). The beachmaster rod holders have held true in every type of beach and rock ( even mud ) Ive used them on. 

This is the rig I use and how I rig a yakka for the beach, funny thing is I even hook bream occasionally on this rig. Ive never been a fan of gang hooks and used to regularly catch jews around Sydney with sets of broken off gangs in their mouths. 

• Like 1

thanks all,  this some how turned into a hook size discussion but still appreciate the comments. 

1. should I have just a tiny drag (avoid bird nest) and just let the fish (salmon/tailor) run for a minute before striking or have a pretty tight drag (but I am using braid) ... 

2) we have pretty big pilchard here in Sydney so anything less than 6/0 will get buried in the bait.  but I will try 4/0 this arvo.... 

The thing about tailor is they'll smash the bait and disappear before you get a chance to pick the rod up.  So if you're not holding onto the rod and have a really light drag setting in the holder, you're going to miss most fish.  

I like JonD's approach and use the same 2 hook rig as he does.  I set a decent amount of drag, say around 3kg, sit back and let the fish hook itself.  You just need to make sure your rod holder isn't going to fall over.  Not everyone agrees with this approach but it works for me and I like chilling out in a chair and not holding the rod.

I take a rod holder with me when I fish only to keep the reel out of the sand when re-baiting, re-rigging or unhooking a fish.

For tailor and salmon I never feed line to a bite, so if you're keen on using a holder adjust the drag with just enough tension to set the hooks. That way if a ray, shark or hopefully a jew grabs your pilchard, you have less chance of losing your rod to the depths. Up your drag to a suitable fight fight setting once you get to your rod.

As others have said, I like to fish snelled hooks when I can, but often when the big tailor are around in early winter I'll use gangs. I prefer to make my own and use 4/0s and 5/0s with a swivel between the hooks. 

Lately I've been rigging a 4/0 for the tail of the pilly, a 5/0 for the midsection and another 4/0 for the eye. This leaves plenty of barb showing without overdoing it in the slimmer sections of the bait.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 4:07 PM, kingie chaser said:

Totally agree but it depends on what size fish your tyring to catch imo.

6/0's are way oversized for even large salmon or jew but then smaller fish will struggle to get near it.

Its similar to bait size, larger baits generally are for larger fish so if your going that big allround then expect to catch less unless the fish size matches the hatch.

Cant say I would actually own any 6/0 gang hooks, most common size I have is between 1/0 & 3/0.

Think if you read between the lines, hook size can be a major factor of hooking or missing fish ( you have been missing them hence the hook size advice ).

If you also take time to read the advice some set drags hard and some light. If the fish won't stay on the when first hooked with heavy drag settings I very much doubt you will have much luck keeping it on in the washy close surf. All of the fish laying in the sand including the bream were caught on 10|0 hooks.

IMG_4424.JPG.82c396792bfd47522e803fe4adaf01e2.JPG _JDP1692.JPG.992cf76a12d636f7e764a0f7c511eb9c.JPG _JDP1699.JPG.8a2a05000e3757116e73d39952821ef4.JPG _JDP1737.jpg.4bea3e24ba295c9f743031d0e07cfcc3.jpg _JDP1738.jpg.51a26249b51bea447749be48a43dc802.jpg _JDP1779.jpg.6f4bd75bcc38b403de5f474da44a0e7e.jpg 

_DSC3888.thumb.jpg.2203917fe24f86c8a6a71277c08d065e.jpg _DSC3999.jpg.101407b0bafbf801ea74623d79f1587e.jpg IMG_4359.thumb.JPG.bc7d89438178772991ced0db582ef825.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonD said:

Think if you read between the lines, hook size can be a major factor of hooking or missing fish ( you have been missing them hence the hook size advice ).

If you also take time to read the advice some set drags hard and some light. If the fish won't stay on the when first hooked with heavy drag settings I very much doubt you will have much luck keeping it on in the washy close surf. All of the fish laying in the sand including the bream were caught on 10|0 hooks.

_DSC3888.thumb.jpg.2203917fe24f86c8a6a71277c08d065e.jpg  

So you agree with me then?

Size of hook has an impact on target species!

Not sure about 10/0 hooks?

Yep seen all those pictures before but not sure that they bring to the thread or the OP's question??

Edited by kingie chaser

Tried a couple of different drag setting with a friend and due to the wave action we ended up just holding the rod cos we couldn't see the bite and found that we were just sitting on empty rods....

Once we started holding the rod we just had drag on real loose and gradually tighten once we feel the bite.... 

Would be nice to just park the rods and enjoy a beer but looks like fishing is hard work. 

My friends were using 4/0 gang and I was using 6/0 snelled gang and we were both catching so both works I guess. 

On a side note at 8pm we both caught port Jackson that ate our hooks and sinkers... so don't know if this a common trait.among port jacksons. 

On 10/15/2020 at 8:21 PM, kingie chaser said:

So you agree with me then?

Size of hook has an impact on target species!

Not sure about 10/0 hooks?

Yep seen all those pictures before but not sure that they bring to the thread or the OP's question??

What they bring to the table is

1 the rods can clearly be seen in the holders.

2 you can see the angle of the holders.

3 you can take my word for it the rods in the holders have reasonable drags set.

4 hook size in comparison to bate size is important, plenty of hook needs to be exposed as shown in the video I put together. The fact I mention catching fish people have lost with sets of gangs and how the eyes on the hooks easily open if you do hook a decent fish should indicate I personally don't recommend them.

5 is a general mix of images of both different size and species of fish caught in the way I describe.

If that doesn't contribute to OP's first question then I struggle to understand what will. It was meant to help someone who doesn't seem to be having any great success yet, apologies if it's no help.