Fish dropping the hook - bream?

TheMatt123

Hi All,

Having a fish at sunset last night off sydney northern beaches and I've never had a more frustrating session - every cast something would show interest, a bite / run type interest, eventually I would strike and have the fish, reeling it in for maybe 10 seconds then BAM nothing and would wind in my de-baited hook or head of pilchard remaining. I this likely to be bream, how can I land them next time?

I ended up getting a medium sized bream later that session so for me that confirms it was most likely bream doing this - experience with Tailor / Salmon being they hit and stay hit until landed.

I have a spot that's notorious for this and bream are the culprits, good size fish too.

Generally I catch one, then exactly what you describe happens and no matter how long or how much line you give them, they mouth, run and drop the bait. I use cut crab, so won’t come off the hook as easy as your pilchard.

I've has some success dropping to a smaller hook and bait, as well as changing the type of bait I'm using.

A bit of berley definitely helps, as does waiting for it to get totally dark.

Edited by Green Hornet